How to choose a pump for a simple irrigation system

In summary, the conversation is about planning to plant 500 Conocarpus trees and determining the suitable pump and hole diameter for the irrigation system. The system will include two elbows and the distance of the pipes can be found in a provided link. It is assumed that each tree needs 100 liters of water per week, but the actual amount needed is unknown. The water will be delivered from a tank and the land is flat. The purpose of the trees is to prevent dust from going to the neighbors, so the amount of water received by each tree is not a major concern. It is suggested to use a tutorial for designing the irrigation system and to consider factors such as topology, maximum distance from pump to tree, and vertical profile. Additionally
sam_smk
We are planning to plant 500 trees, and we want to water it, but we are not sure how to calculate the suitable pump for it, and the holes diameters that we will pinch for each tree (500 holes).

The system will include two elbows, and the distance of the pipes are all included in the below link.

The name of the tree is "Conocarpus"

I'm not sure how many liters of water does this tree need per week, but we are assuming 100 liters. ( If you know how much it really needs please share)

So, since we assumed 100 liters we are going to divide it by 4 per week. So we want the pump work 4 times per week and each time does not exceed an hour or two (20 liters for each tree for 4 days).

We want to know what is the suitable pump (KW) for our system and what's the equation to calculate it and how to calculate the holes diameter so the water pressure would be good for the last tree at the end of the pipe.https://postimg.cc/image/u1i5qx7jr/

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are some key points missing from your description.

What is the topology? (one pipe looping through all 500 trees, one pipe per tree, ...so on)
What is the maximum distance from pump to tree?
What does the vertical profile look like? (i.e. level, uphill, ...)
If you have one pipe for many trees, do you make adjustments to make sure that each tree gets the same quantify of water?

There are many considerations more than pump size. May I suggest a tutorial. I found several with this search. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=farm+irrigation+system+design&ia=web

Is the land flat?
How is the water delivered to the pump input?
Where does power for the pump come from?

The distribution pipe will empty when you turn the water pump off, so some trees will get more water than others as the pipe drains.

The water is best delivered below the surface where you want the roots of the tree to develop. That will reduce evaporation, salination and weed-growth on the surface. So bury a vertical, open ended, short tube with each tree. Regulate the flow to each tree with a regulated flow dripper that can drip into the top of that vertical tube. For small seedlings drip onto the surface, after the first year drip into the deeper tube to reach the deeper roots.

Baluncore said:
Is the land flat?
How is the water delivered to the pump input?
Where does power for the pump come from?

The distribution pipe will empty when you turn the water pump off, so some trees will get more water than others as the pipe drains.

The water is best delivered below the surface where you want the roots of the tree to develop. That will reduce evaporation, salination and weed-growth on the surface. So bury a vertical, open ended, short tube with each tree. Regulate the flow to each tree with a regulated flow dripper that can drip into the top of that vertical tube. For small seedlings drip onto the surface, after the first year drip into the deeper tube to reach the deeper roots.
The land we can assume it's flat.
The water comes from a Tank
We are just going to use a standard pump. The trees are actually for a cement factory. We are only using the trees to hold the dust from going to our neighbors. So we are not really worried about some trees getting more water than the others.

1. What type of pump should I use for my irrigation system?

The type of pump you should use depends on the size of your irrigation system and the water source you are using. For a simple irrigation system, a centrifugal pump is usually the most suitable as it can handle a wide range of water volumes and pressures.

2. How do I determine the flow rate and pressure needed for my irrigation system?

The flow rate and pressure needed for your irrigation system will depend on the size of your system, the type of plants you are watering, and the terrain of your garden. A general rule of thumb is to have a flow rate of 1 gallon per minute for every 100 square feet of irrigation area, and a pressure of 20-30 PSI.

3. What is the difference between a submersible pump and a surface pump?

A submersible pump is installed underwater in the water source, while a surface pump is placed above ground and draws water from the source. Submersible pumps are typically more efficient and quieter, but they may be more expensive and require professional installation.

4. How do I calculate the power requirements for my pump?

The power requirements for your pump will depend on the flow rate and pressure needed for your irrigation system. To calculate the power needed, multiply the flow rate (in gallons per minute) by the pressure (in pounds per square inch) and divide by 3960. This will give you the horsepower needed for your pump.

5. What is the best way to maintain and protect my pump?

To maintain and protect your pump, make sure to regularly clean and inspect it for any damage or clogs. Also, ensure that it is properly grounded and protected from extreme weather conditions. If your pump is not in use during colder months, make sure to drain it and store it in a dry place to prevent damage from freezing temperatures.