How to Control Love: Dealing with Unrequited Feelings

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of controlling love and getting rid of intense feelings for someone the person has never met in person, but only knows through forum posts. The advice given is to focus on real-life interactions and activities, as well as potentially reaching out to the person in question to dispel any fantasy built up in the mind. The conversation also includes some humorous comments and suggestions for resolving the issue.
disordered
Hey there,
I’d like to know, is there any possible way to control love? How to get rid of this feeling and beat it to death!

[[[Story is, there’s this guy who I really like, but I've never met him in person and he doesn't know about me, I only read his posts here. :biggrin: But I know it won’t work and I don’t want it to work either! I have my own reasons which I’m not willing to share! Odd I know but this is it… Still, I can't bear the feeling of dismissing him, it feels like a poison inside of me. And it’s affecting my life in a bad way, I can’t focus anymore, study nor socialize. The only good thing about this feeling is it helped me to lose weight. :biggrin: Any ideas what to do? Thanks.]]]

Physics news on Phys.org
disordered said:
Hey there,
I’d like to know, is there any possible way to control love? How to get rid of this feeling and beat it to death!

socialize/go out/volunteer/meet new people.

Yeah, I've been trying that lately, it didn't work. It has been a long time since I start to feel that way (## months), I start to become more of a careless person and everyone is saying ‘you’re not yourself’. I act/ respond/ think/ etc about anything differently than I used to do. I just hate the fact that it took me that long, and I really want to end it.

The answer to your question is yes, you can.

But even more importantly, for you, is that you can control any emotion, or rather, you can choose to not let any emotion control you. The reason I say this is because what you are experiencing is not love. You simply cannot love someone you've never met, spoken to, or otherwise interacted with except by reading their forum posts.

What you're experiencing is probably more like desire, maybe with some lust thrown in (I don't know). And you can handle that too. Focus on your life, your -real- life, and the interactions in it. When you're having a conversation with someone (and I mean a real one here), really listen and focus on what they're saying. You're a student I think? Really dial into your studies. If you think you 'can't', just sit down and make yourself. Say I will study for the next hour no matter how badly I don't want to, or no matter how many times I lose focus. I will keep studying. Read a book, the kind that whisks you away to another world, and you lose all sense of time and place. There are many ways to get past this.

Now, if you really want to do this the fast way, introduce yourself to the person in question, tell them how you feel, and ask to meet. Maybe they'll politely say no, maybe they'll take you up on it, maybe ignore you, who knows. Either way, you'll probably come to realize this person isn't at all the person you built them up to be in your head.

You're not in love with a real person. You're desiring a persona your mind has built up out of forum posts and your emotions. No big deal, everyone has been there before. You can handle it.

If you've never met him, you aren't really in love. There, easy, problem solved. :biggrin: It's infatuation, a crush, or perhaps lust, and definitely a big part fantasy, but not love. As quickly as it appeared, it'll disappear when you meet someone interesting in real life.

Can you control your emotions? In most cases, no. Sure, there are medications that can help with things like depression to rid yourself of sadness, but if you mean by some non-medicated method, nope. What you CAN do is control your reaction to your emotions.

disordered said:
[[[Story is, there’s this guy who I really like, but I've never met him in person and he doesn't know about me, I only read his posts here. :biggrin: But I know it won’t work and I don’t want it to work either! I have my own reasons which I’m not willing to share! Odd I know but this is it… Still, I can't bear the feeling of dismissing him, it feels like a poison inside of me. And it’s affecting my life in a bad way, I can’t focus anymore, study nor socialize. The only good thing about this feeling is it helped me to lose weight. :biggrin: Any ideas what to do? Thanks.]]]

Someone already called dibs on him and they'll soon ban you. Problem solved. :smile:

(He's so clueless he'd never figure out you had a crush on him anyway)

Not to be dismissive of your feelings, but if you've only read this person's posts on the internet, isn't it likely that the person you're "in love" with is more so an image you have in your head of what this person is like that may not have much to do with reality? In this case, perhaps contacting the person and learning more about him might help, as it may dispel the fantasy you have built up.

Last edited:
It would be an irony were it Cyrus and he came in here and bashed the OP.

Like Moonie says, its more fantasy than anything. I would hardly even call it a crush. The problem would seem to be that you are for some reason retreating into fantasy and not wanting to deal with real life people. Figure out why that may be and you may be able to solve your problem then.

Well, Who is it, If we bring it out in the open and discuss it that might help you resolve your issue and it will provide hours of entertainment for everyone else.

sas3 said:
Well, Who is it, If we bring it out in the open and discuss it that might help you resolve your issue and it will provide hours of entertainment for everyone else.

Or everyone can claim to be her crush/fantasy and see who wins :biggrin:

I think this thread is ... bit creepy :rolleyes:

rootX said:
Or everyone can claim to be her crush/fantasy and see who wins :biggrin:

We should have a poll!

Who is disordered's beau? Beau Diddley, Beau Jackson, Beau Derek, Beau the Portugese Water Dog, or Bo Bridges?

TheStatutoryApe said:
It would be an irony were it Cyrus and he came in here and bashed the OP.
:smile: I'm wondering now if I should PM Cyrus and tell him about this.

Disordered,
Love is like a flower: beautiful, but fragile, in the sense that you can dispose of it at any point in time.
-C

Love is like a box of chocolates.

or was that life? I don't remember.

Getting rid of crushes is easy. Go to a party and meet new people. Boom, as soon as you find someone new to harp on your old crush has dissapeared. (although I've never given up on this one girl, but that's another story.)

disordered: I am married. Deal with it.

DaveC426913 said:
disordered: I am married. Deal with it.
:bugeye:

carnifex said:
Disordered,
Love is like a flower: beautiful, but fragile, in the sense that you can dispose of it at any point in time.
-C

You’re right! Unfortunately, I don’t dispose of beautiful things that happen in my life…

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8596/p1000967.jpg

Among physics pages! That's where his tough love belongs :biggrin:

Thanks all for the concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
disordered said:

Yeah. PM the guy and meet see if you can meet him in person.

No, it would be more fun in public!@

There are two forms I guess.

1: Love, hard to control, but I guess possible in the end with the proper dose of chemicals.
2: Being in love, completely different thing, not loving a person as much as loving the feeling that a person gives you and mistaking the latter for the former. It's basically the aequivalent of getting a shot of heroine every time that person enters the room. I'm sure people can be let to believe a person is awesome if they subconsciously associate a shot of heroine with them like that. Easily controllable in theory of course by applying or removing said shot. Can lead to uncomfortable withdrawal signs that may include vomiting, crying or nausea we like to call a 'broken heart'.

DanP said:
Yeah. PM the guy and meet see if you can meet him in person.

Or maybe just PM the guy and say hi.

I'd think being tapped as a target of interest would be enough to deal with at first. Being asked to meet would likely spook him.

Hey. Disordered had posted her pic! Now we can see what this huy's getting himself into.
disordered said:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8596/p1000967.jpg

OK, it's just her thumb. That's a nice thumb, Dis.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Or maybe just PM the guy and say hi.

I'd think being tapped as a target of interest would be enough to deal with at first. Being asked to meet would likely spook him.

Is she going after a deer?

Few points:

1. Infatuation and Love are completely different. The former is a feeling and the later is... something much more wonderful.

2. Yes, you can control infatuation or any other feeling. This can be done by becoming more busy, productive, and having a higher self esteem. Of course, this can be applied to any feeling that is emotionally destabilizing.

3. Love, however, is uncontrollable. Though, please realize that what you are feeling is NOT love.

disordered said:
One could love another as in having a profound and sustained affection and respect for another, without necessarily becoming disordered. There is no need to dismiss the other. Just let the feelings mellow with time, and focus on one's work.

Show up at his house in the middle of the night?

That is how I pull most of my girls.

MotoH said:
That is how I pull most of my girls.
I don't understand this terminiology. Are most of your girls slow-cooked pork?

Pinu7 said:
Few points:

1. Infatuation and Love are completely different. The former is a feeling and the later is... something much more wonderful.

2. Yes, you can control infatuation or any other feeling. This can be done by becoming more busy, productive, and having a higher self esteem. Of course, this can be applied to any feeling that is emotionally destabilizing.

3. Love, however, is uncontrollable. Though, please realize that what you are feeling is NOT love.
Of course it can be controlled. You can make people want to raise their arm by putting a spool next to their head on the right place. It's just a lot harder.

Also, see my above post for an even more cynical perspective on this.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't understand this terminology. Are most of your girls slow-cooked pork?

Yes.

Okay, I'm not trying to make a running gag of being obtuse, but...

Kajahtava said:
You can make people want to raise their arm by putting a spool next to their head on the right place.
:confused::confused::confused:
What does infatuation have to do with salutations in a Nazi-era sewing factory?

DaveC426913 said:

Oh sweet baby Jesus!:smile::smile:

DaveC426913 said:

I mean to say, that, theoretically, the hypothesis is that you can make people do anything by putting a voltage on the right nerves.

I mean, say that I go grab a cake, that happens because of the signals of my eyes and all that put into motion some awesome swarm intelligence I call my central nervous system.

Well, if I replicate the exact same voltages that would be given by my eye neurons we would expect that I execute the same behaviour with my hands. Of course, from my perspective, I then actually SEE the cake, I don't notice a difference my eye neurons are stimulated by some machine, voilla.

Now, why do we love some one? For all sorts of qualities, naturally, it's theoretically possible to in the same way let us perceive those qualities by putting the right voltages on the right neurons, it's a dauntingly complex task, but it's probably possible to implant a machine behind your eyes to make you see a specific person as read haired, while she in reality is blonde. (just an example), kindness can also be achieved.

Kajahtava said:
I . . . achieved.

So you are telling me, that if I shock myself enough, I can pick and choose who I love?

MotoH said:
So you are telling me, that if I shock myself enough, I can pick and choose who I love?

I mean to say, that, theoretically, the hypothesis is that you can make people do anything by putting a voltage on the right nerves.

In practice all hypothesis fail! :smile:

This is why you should always read a complete thread all the way through and not just jump to the last page. It sounds like someone suggested to the OP that the solution to the problem was to get a car battery and some jumper cables and...

(But yes, PM the person. Don't suggest a meet, just say something nice. People love flattery, especially if it is sincere.)