How to Cope with a Series of Bad Days?

  • Thread starter Huckleberry
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, but I'm used to it.Everybody says "don't drink when you're down; alcohol is a depressant". If I'm depressed already, I damned well want to make it worthwhile. :biggrin:I might try that for a night or two, but its not something I want to make a habit of.
  • #1
Huckleberry
491
7
I've been having a series of really bad days. Nothing seems to be going right and major things seem to be going wrong. My aunt died a little over a week ago. I have an uncle who will be losing his feet to diabetes. He had to put down his two horses, which he has had for years. I had an oral report to give today and I totally blew it. I don't like public speaking, but I was enunciating alright. The problem is that as I was trying to draw on the board my hand was shaking and I couldn't stop it. And I haven't been able to focus on anything lately and it's finals week for me.

How does everyone else handle a bad day?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
some eat mushrooms or smoke illicit drugs.. some go to sleep

some simply develop an apathetic philosophy - which I would advise. if all else fails, you can claim to have found a true meaning of life in nihilism and pretend that to be your protective cover from all the b.s. of reality

it works
 
  • #3
I had a crap day, too. I'm afraid there's only one cure that I know of. Wanna come over and make prank phone calls with me? :biggrin:

Seriously, though - sorry you're going through a rough time.
 
  • #4
Math Is Hard said:
I had a crap day, too. I'm afraid there's only one cure that I know of. Wanna come over

You see what she does there? She builds an anticipation, exciting, almost an ephoric feeling

and make prank phone calls with me? :biggrin:

..and then crushes you like a little puny bug you are
 
  • #5
Sorry to hear about it, Huck. You too, MIH.
My response depends a little upon whether I'm mad or sad. Basically, it always used to be to just bring a dozen beers home and get slogged. Now I come here (sometimes with the beers, but usually without). I really love that you guys cheer me up even when you don't know that I need it.
 
  • #6
cronxeh said:
some eat mushrooms or smoke illicit drugs.. some go to sleep

some simply develop an apathetic philosophy - which I would advise. if all else fails, you can claim to have found a true meaning of life in nihilism and pretend that to be your protective cover from all the b.s. of reality

it works
I would, but it's been overdone. But I guess the fact that I posted this thread could be nihilistic, so maybe that will work.
Math Be Hard said:
Wanna come over and make prank phone calls with me?
Hmm, a tempting offer. I'd tell you to give me a call, but I'm afraid you would only torment me with prank calls.
cronxeh said:
..and then crushes you like a little puny bug you are
Yeah, but I'm used to it.
Danger said:
I really love that you guys cheer me up even when you don't know that I need it.
That is reassuring. And the alcohol might help... well, maybe not, but I would enjoy it.
 
  • #7
OoooOh Man! i was going to post about how i was feeling less than awesome, and how usually that means i dress stupidly, or make dumb faces and go on camera and take pictures that make me laugh.. (see pillowhead thread if you need an example...) but then i just realized that there's a playground right near my dorm, and I'm going to swing! holy man, i love swinging! that makes me feel awesome! and there's slides too! man i love sliding!

Thats how i feel better after a crappy day... i do stupid things that i think are fun. YAY!
 
  • #8
Huckleberry said:
And the alcohol might help... well, maybe not, but I would enjoy it.
Everybody says "don't drink when you're down; alcohol is a depressant". If I'm depressed already, I damned well want to make it worthwhile. :biggrin:
 
  • #9
yes yes Gale..

singing along with Gale "i feel pretty, oh so pretty"
 
  • #10
Gale17 said:
I'm going to swing! holy man, i love swinging!
I like that idea too, but I'm not all that sociable on bad days.

cronxeh said:
singing along with Gale "i feel pretty, oh so pretty"
As long as you're just singing it, and not believing it, I guess that's okay.
 
  • #11
Danger said:
Everybody says "don't drink when you're down; alcohol is a depressant". If I'm depressed already, I damned well want to make it worthwhile. :biggrin:
I might try that for a night or two, but its not something I want to make a habit of.

Gale17 said:
Thats how i feel better after a crappy day... i do stupid things that i think are fun. YAY!
:smile: How could anyone be depressed around you? I like to do stupid things when I'm feeling pretty good about myself. At the moment I'm all like, I can't do much of anything right, I'm all pathetic and will probably never amount to anything, blah, blah...

Just a lot of things are hitting me in a row and I was having a hard enough time before. Somehow I just don't feel like taking pictures of myself standing on my head in the park right now. It's too dark for that.
 
  • #12
*rocks on to tunes of happy hardcore*

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and bright!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.
 
  • #13
Well you haven't tormented me for some time now, would that help? :-p Maybe you should think of something fun to do after finals to give yourself a "light at the end of the tunnel" (and hopefully it's not a train coming :smile: ). And by all means, be a bad influence on others--they need it too.
 
  • #14
When I'm having a bad day{week}I tend to get busy doing something for someone else, weed there garden, take there kids to the park for a while or walk there pets. It keeps my mind off my own problems.
There is going to be a lot of times in your life when things just suck, and not a darn thing you can do about it.
Sorry to hear about your family Huck, hope you find your land legs again soon.
 
  • Like
Likes gracy
  • #15
SOS2008 said:
Well you haven't tormented me for some time now, would that help? :-p Maybe you should think of something fun to do after finals to give yourself a "light at the end of the tunnel" (and hopefully it's not a train coming :smile: ). And by all means, be a bad influence on others--they need it too.
Torment you? Is that what I do? Did you at least enjoy it? I haven't seen you around PF for a while. I thought you were avoiding me. :wink:

hypatia said:
There is going to be a lot of times in your life when things just suck, and not a darn thing you can do about it.
Very true. I've been very lucky so far. Almost everyone in my family has been healthy up until this point. That's beginning to change now. The odd thing is that I've never been very close to anyone in my family and I don't really feel much from everything that's happening to them. But when I look at how I'm reacting I notice that I have a hard time dealing with the problems in my own life when something bad happens to my family. So I think it is affecting me somehow.
 
  • #16
cronxeh said:
*rocks on to tunes of happy hardcore*

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and bright!
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.

doo doo doo, doo, doo, doo

I feel charming,
and alarming...
 
  • #17
Huckleberry said:
:smile: How could anyone be depressed around you? I like to do stupid things when I'm feeling pretty good about myself. At the moment I'm all like, I can't do much of anything right, I'm all pathetic and will probably never amount to anything, blah, blah...

Just a lot of things are hitting me in a row and I was having a hard enough time before. Somehow I just don't feel like taking pictures of myself standing on my head in the park right now. It's too dark for that.

well... if you'd like to see pictures of me standing on my head in the park... let me know :wink:

at any rate, its like what other people said... you just get your mind off things. I just don't happen to be a productive person, so doing productive things just doesn't work for me. Instead i act stupid... i feel comfortable when i act like I'm 8 and just have fun. I don't have to think about what I'm doing, as long as its entertaining. Bonus points cause not only is it distracting, but usually, its FUN!
 
  • #18
Gale17 said:
well... if you'd like to see pictures of me standing on my head in the park... let me know
Now that would definitely make my day. :smile: Can you do it with a pillow on your head? Don't want you to get hurt.

I would never act like I was 8. Maybe somewhere in the 10-12 range. Getting old these days.
 
  • #19
Huckleberry said:
Torment you? Is that what I do? Did you at least enjoy it? I haven't seen you around PF for a while. I thought you were avoiding me. :wink:
Yes, yes, and yes. :smile: I'd like to think it's the other way around. :-p Yeh, this month has been crazy. I will be out-of-town this weekend, and then back in time for Memorial weekend and a party for a friend's birthday. But I'll be back like a bad dream. :devil:
 
  • #20
Huckleberry said:
Now that would definitely make my day. :smile: Can you do it with a pillow on your head? Don't want you to get hurt.

I would never act like I was 8. Maybe somewhere in the 10-12 range. Getting old these days.


All the more reason for you to act 8! the younger you act, the better you feel! sides 12 yr olds have all that social awkwardness of going through pueberty... ugh, did that once, won't do it again. 8 is a good age... that's what I'm sticking with.

at any rate, I'm doubting the likelyhood that you'll be receiving any pictures of me on my head... but hey, you can pretend! its make-believe! just like when you were 8! see... while we're at it, i get to be a princess, and you can be my knight... you have to find a way to save me from the tower that the wicked wizard has locked me in...

Ready... GO!
 
  • #21
SOS2008 said:
Yes, yes, and yes. :smile: I'd like to think it's the other way around. :-p Yeh, this month has been crazy. I will be out-of-town this weekend, and then back in time for Memorial weekend and a party for a friend's birthday. But I'll be back like a bad dream. :devil:
Then I'll have something to look forward to. :devil:
Gale17 said:
at any rate, I'm doubting the likelyhood that you'll be receiving any pictures of me on my head... but hey, you can pretend! its make-believe! just like when you were 8!
I have a solution. I could always take a picture of the park and cut a Gale shaped hole in it. Then I could stand on my head in front of the computer and look at your Pillow Head pictures. :smile: I do that for all my imaginary girlfriends, but usually I use more candles and incense.

Gale17 said:
see... while we're at it, i get to be a princess, and you can be my knight... you have to find a way to save me from the tower that the wicked wizard has locked me in...
Ready... GO!
Hey, ahhh...Gale, like, let down your hair and stuff so that's I can climz up dere and ahhhh, rescue you from dat ugly old wizard guy.
 
  • #22
Well, you're already doing what I do when life starts coming at me hard and fast, I find friends and vent! Then I drag them out for foo foo drinks! Hey, let's head over to the Tiki Bar and get drinks in coconuts with little umbrellas stuck in them. I could go for a pina colada tonight! :biggrin:

And it's probably mostly the stress of finals getting to you, but just seems worse when all the relatives are suddenly dumping their troubles on you. You just want to focus on studying, and they have you running around all over the place doing stuff for them, etc.
 
  • #23
Huckleberry said:
I could always take a picture of the park and cut a Gale shaped hole in it. Then I could stand on my head in front of the computer and look at your Pillow Head pictures.
Or you can snipe her picture, invert it, and repost it.:devil:

Huckleberry said:
Hey, ahhh...Gale, like, let down your hair and stuff so that's I can climz up dere and ahhhh, rescue you from dat ugly old wizard guy.
Oh, man, but I so want to say something here that her age prevents.
 
  • #24
Huck, I am so sorry to hear about everything that you are going through. :( MIH, sorry to hear things aren't good either. :frown:

I've noticed how tied together we all seem to be. If one of us goes through something bad, we all seem to.

I just want to say that MIH has gone above and beyond whenever I've had problems. She has offered her shoulder to cry on, but more importantly has offered to track down and physically disable anyone that has hurt me. :approve: MIH :!)

I also want to thank Tsu, Ivan and Moonbear for their undying support. :biggrin:

Gale, swinging is the best cure for anything. :-p

But, of course, I did send "groovy cat" to everyone for Valentine's Day. Okay, he's on my other computer, so here's hahaha until I can change the picture.
 

Attachments

  • HAHAHAHA1.gif
    HAHAHAHA1.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 464
  • #25
Evo said:
here's hahaha until I can change the picture.
How can your own attachment be pending approval. Aren't you the one who approves them? :confused:
 
  • #26
Okay, that was quick.
 
  • #27
Danger said:
Okay, that was quick.
I need to send you Groovy cat. :-p
 
  • #28
ya what evo and moonbear said... friends help... at if you're lacking physical ones.. then pf ones work just as well.

Huckleberry said:
I have a solution. I could always take a picture of the park and cut a Gale shaped hole in it. Then I could stand on my head in front of the computer and look at your Pillow Head pictures. I do that for all my imaginary girlfriends, but usually I use more candles and incense.

Hey now! I'm charging for my imaginary girlfriend services... aww... shucks... i guess if you're feeling crummy, i'll give you a freebee...

Hey, ahhh...Gale, like, let down your hair and stuff so that's I can climz up dere and ahhhh, rescue you from dat ugly old wizard guy.

i think you'll also have to get in touch with your inner child... that was weak...
 
  • #29
Moonbear said:
I could go for a pina colada tonight! :biggrin:
I could go for a margarita and some really bad karaoke right now. I just realized that I have no problem singing karaoke perfectly sober, but I can't do a presentation in front of my classmates.

I don't feel that anyone is dumping anything on me. I mean, their problems are much worse than mine at the moment and they didn't complain at all. I haven't felt forced to do anything for anyone. If they asked for help I would be glad to offer it. It's not very likely anyone will ask me for anything though. I'm kind of the black sheep of the family.

Danger said:
Or you can snipe her picture, invert it, and repost it.
But then I wouldn't be able to stand on my head, and that's half the fun. :smile: See how much fun he's having?

Evo said:
I've noticed how tied together we all seem to be. If one of us goes through something bad, we all seem to.
Uh oh, I wonder who's next? :rolleyes:

What is that thing? Looks like something from a giraffe sonogram. Maybe Barbara Walters as a four-legged chicken. Groovy! Every time I hear that word I think of 'Spike' from 'Notting Hill.'
 
  • #30
Evo said:
I just want to say that MIH has gone above and beyond whenever I've had problems. She has offered her shoulder to cry on, but more importantly has offered to track down and physically disable anyone that has hurt me. :approve: MIH :!)
well, shoot, what are sisters for?! :biggrin:

I'm liking Moonbear's Tiki bar idea more and more. Let's have a round of Blue Hawaiians with pink umbrellas and fruit stuck on top. SOS is back in town, and I believe this is a very good omen that all of our luck is starting to turn around! :smile:
 
  • #31
Huckleberry said:
I could go for a margarita and some really bad karaoke right now. I just realized that I have no problem singing karaoke perfectly sober, but I can't do a presentation in front of my classmates.

:smile: Maybe you just needed to sing your presentation! :smile: In truth, karaoke is easier, because you already know the words and everyone expects it to sound bad, and nobody is giving you a grade for it. And profs expect students to be nervous giving presentations, so shaky hands is really no big deal. I always feel nervous for the students when they start shaking. One of our students gave a seminar last week, and she was doing a great job, but as the flush crept up from her neck and around her ears out over her cheeks, it was obvious she was really nervous. I always just want to reach out and say something reassuring.

I don't feel that anyone is dumping anything on me. I mean, their problems are much worse than mine at the moment and they didn't complain at all. I haven't felt forced to do anything for anyone. If they asked for help I would be glad to offer it. It's not very likely anyone will ask me for anything though. I'm kind of the black sheep of the family.
Dumping was probably the wrong word. I meant more that all these bad things are just piling up all at once. One moment you're blissfully ignorant that anyone has any major health problems, and then suddenly the bad news is hitting you left and right.
 
  • #32
Gale17 said:
ya what evo and moonbear said... friends help... at if you're lacking physical ones.. then pf ones work just as well.
I have friends, but I move around a lot so they are spread out all over the U.S. This is good when I don't want to stay in a hotel while I'm travelling, but not so good when I want someone to hang out with. I don't make friends like I used to. Becoming a little anti-social as I approach middle age I guess.
Hey now! I'm charging for my imaginary girlfriend services... aww... shucks... i guess if you're feeling crummy, i'll give you a freebee...
I used to like to play freebee. I could throw that thing around all day in the park with my friends. Parks are a great place to play with freebees.
i think you'll also have to get in touch with your inner child... that was weak...
You'd like to see mew run in circles wouldntcha? :-p
 
  • #33
The cure for a bad day is a lifetime of spiritual seeking. Just another step on the road.

Really, if you come to the end of your life and you haven't spent serious time in spiritual seeking, wouldn't you feel kind of futile?
 
  • #34
Math Is Hard said:
well, shoot, what are sisters for?! :biggrin:

I'm liking Moonbear's Tiki bar idea more and more. Let's have a round of Blue Hawaiians with pink umbrellas and fruit stuck on top. SOS is back in town, and I believe this is a very good omen that all of our luck is starting to turn around! :smile:

:biggrin: Where's Danger? Barkeep! We'll have a round of pina coladas, a round of margueritas (make mine a daquiri; I don't get along well with tequila), and a round of Blue Hawaiians! *hic*
 
  • #35
Huckleberry said:
I have friends, but I move around a lot so they are spread out all over the U.S. This is good when I don't want to stay in a hotel while I'm travelling, but not so good when I want someone to hang out with. I don't make friends like I used to. Becoming a little anti-social as I approach middle age I guess.

I think we all become like that. I have the same problem. Most of my friends here are coworkers. You just do the old routine, get up, go to work, come home tired, eat dinner, get on PF, go to sleep, repeat. When you're younger, you meet new people all the time, your friends don't all have kids, so they actually throw parties and attend parties, etc. I really need more single friends (and yes, friends who aren't scattered across the planet), because all these people with kids are just no fun at all.
 

Similar threads

Replies
10
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
66
Views
5K
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
42
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
4
Replies
105
Views
8K
Replies
8
Views
902
  • General Discussion
Replies
11
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
13
Views
4K
  • General Discussion
Replies
6
Views
942
  • General Discussion
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
10
Views
858
Back
Top