1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to correctly average over multiple data sets

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a particular Magneto-Optic Kerr Effect (MOKE) experiment I have taken data for 20 hysteresis loops in which Kerr Voltage is measured as a function of Applied Field. I wish to obtain an average curve. The problem is this; Even though the settings for each loop were identical (magnetic field set to scan the range ±150 Oe in steps of 2 Oe), the recorded data for the applied field differ slightly between loops and the step size isn't always exactly 2Oe. How should I average them?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To start with, I cut the data down so it's in the range ±60 Oe (Past this point it is saturated so no more changes occur). I made sure the starting point for the field was in roughly the same point (about 59.5±0.5 Oe). Then I took the avg value and stdev of each successive data point (Field and Kerr Voltage). Is this an acceptable way of doing this? I thought about maybe binning the data into small bins, around 1Oe in size. Does anyone know what to do in this sort of situation?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted