How to derive an average output from a triaxial accelerometer

In summary, There are various ways to derive a vector average of the output from a triaxial accelerometer, including taking the square root of the sum of the squared values from each channel, or using methods such as finding the min and max values or amplitudes. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, depending on the specific needs and goals of the analysis. More sophisticated methods, such as looking at impulse and frequency response, can also be used to analyze vibrational response and damping effects. Ultimately, the best method to use will depend on the specific data and what is most useful for the analysis.
TS@QS
Hi
I am measuring the acceleration of an oscillating body with a triaxial accelerometer. I want to derive some kind of vector average of the 3 channel output. Someone suggested using
x= √(a squared + b squared + c squared)
... where x is the vector average and a, b and c are the accelerometry readings for each channel. Someone else told me that this isn't ideal but I don't really understand why not. Please help - is it better to just take the mean of all 3... or even just to choose the largest amplitude channel and use that?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your method is just fine, kind of depends on what your needs are. You lose the "sign" of the acceleration with that method, just results in a magnitude. You could also look at the min and max values, or min and max amplitudes on each channel.

thanks - well , I'm using the acceleration as a surrogate for amplitude of displacement. I want to compare the oscillatory movement before and after applying a damping system to decide if there is an 'average' damping effect overall.

Since you are just looking for a relative change, looking at the highest amplitude channel probably works fine. Acquire all the data you can, then mine it for whatever looks most useful.

thanks, I'll try that.
I was just wondering why i was told that there are better more sophisticated methods and what these could feasibly entail?

You could certainly get into looking at impulse and frequency response for different damping. Vibrational response is a whole field in and of its own.

Related to How to derive an average output from a triaxial accelerometer

1. How do I collect data from a triaxial accelerometer?

The first step in deriving an average output from a triaxial accelerometer is to collect data from the device. This can be done by attaching the accelerometer to the object or surface you want to measure and then using a data logger or computer program to record the data.

2. What is the difference between raw and processed data from a triaxial accelerometer?

Raw data from a triaxial accelerometer is the unfiltered and unprocessed output of the device, which includes all vibrations and movements picked up by the accelerometer. Processed data, on the other hand, has been filtered and adjusted to remove noise and provide a more accurate representation of the object's movement.

3. How do I calculate the average output from a triaxial accelerometer?

To calculate the average output, you will need to first determine the sampling rate of your accelerometer and then collect a sufficient amount of data points. Once you have your data, you can use a mathematical formula to calculate the average output by summing all the data points and dividing by the total number of data points.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the average output from a triaxial accelerometer?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the average output from a triaxial accelerometer, including the sampling rate, environmental conditions, and placement of the accelerometer. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I interpret the average output from a triaxial accelerometer?

The average output from a triaxial accelerometer can be interpreted as the overall movement or vibration of the object or surface being measured. It can provide insights into the frequency, amplitude, and direction of the movement, which can be useful in various applications such as monitoring structural vibrations or analyzing motion patterns.