1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive the derivative formula of arctan x?

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

basically what the topic states - derive the formula for the derivative of arctan x.

2. Relevant equations

d/dx (arctan x) = 1/(1+x^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

strange question because we already know the answer. but im not sure how to start this.

i know arctan x = y

therefore tan y = x

but what can i do with this? do i need to draw a right triangle and label all the sides? can someone help me get started? thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    Do you know the Inverse function theorem? Using it and a right triangle (as you said), gives the result pretty quickly.
  4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    You could indeed draw a triangle knowing that the tangent is equal to x. In a triangle, if you're given that the tangent of some angle y is equal to x, what do you know about the lengths of the sides?
  5. Mar 30, 2007 #4

the opposite would be x, the adjacent is 1 and the hypoteneuse is the square root of 1+x^2

after that im stuck.
  6. Mar 30, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got tan y = x, you want dy/dx, so use implicit differentiation.
  7. Mar 30, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

[tex]y=arctan x[/tex]

Therefore [tex]x=\tan y[/tex], Quite easy to see.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=\sec^2 y[/tex]

Using the Pythagorean Identity [itex]\sec^2 y = \tan^2 y +1[/itex] we can get this: [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=\tan^2 y +1[/tex].

Flip the fraction since we want dy/dx, not dx/dy. And also, as seen on my second line tan y=x, so tan^2 y = x^2.

Thats how we get

8. Mar 30, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] y=\arctan x [/tex]

[tex] \tan y =x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\tan y= \frac{1}{\cos^{2}y}\frac{dy}{dx}=1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} =\cos^{2} y=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}\right)^{2}=\frac{1}{1+x^{2}} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?