How to Determine Acceleration from Distance in Constant Acceleration Problems

• Thread starter kylenic1997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, a boulder starts from rest and travels 2.70 m in the first second (from t=0 s to t=1 s). It will travel further in the second second (from t=1 s to t=2 s) if the acceleration is constant.
kylenic1997

Homework Statement

A boulder starts from rest and travels 2.70 m in the first second (from t = 0 s to t = 1 s). How far will it travel in the second second (from t = 1 s to t = 2 s)? Assume the acceleration of the boulder is constant.

Homework Equations

a=(V-Vo)/t
X=Xo+at
v^2-Vo^2=2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is figuring which equation to use because I keep getting different accelerations depending on which one I use. The first equation gives me a=(2.70m/s)/1s =2.70m/s^2. Second equation gives me a= 2.70m/s, looking back now I guess this answer cannot be it because it is not in m/s^2. Last equation gives me (2.70m/s)^2 /(2.70m *2)= 1.35m/s^2. How can I determine which equation should be used for this problem and for future problems. I have noticed that I can normally determine the other variables well, but I keep getting the acceleration wrong. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kylenic1997 said:
My problem is figuring which equation to use...
... your problem is that you are trying to remember the equation instead of understanding the physics.
...I keep getting different accelerations depending on which one I use. The first equation gives me a=(2.70m/s)/1s =2.70m/s^2.
How did you get 2.7m/s for this equation?

Second equation gives me a= 2.70m/s, looking back now I guess this answer cannot be it because it is not in m/s^2.
Well done.

Notice that you are not told the speed after 1s, just the distance travelled.
Remember to list what you know, write down the unknown as a ?, then pick the equation that has everything you know and the unknown only.
Note: there are 5 suvaT equations

Better: get used to sketching velocity time graphs.
Example - object accelerates from rest, travels 5m in the first second ... what is the final speed?
The v-t graph is a triangle, the apex is unknown at v, base is 1s long, the area is 5m = v/2 (half base times height) so v=10m/s is the final speed.

I thought that velocity= distance traveled/ time traveled. Since it traveled 2.70m/1s I figured it would be 2.70 m/s. From the example you gave me it seems like the last equation of my original post should be correct. For some reason it seems to make more sense that the first equation should be correct, because I keep thinking that the velocity should be 2.70 m/s after the first second.

kylenic1997 said:
he first equation gives me a=(2.70m/s)/1s
Where are you getting 2.70m/s from? I don't see that in the provided data,
kylenic1997 said:
X=Xo+at
Where x is a distance? 'at' is acceleration times time. That does not give a distance.

I got 2.70m/s from (X-Xo)/t. With the info given I got (2.70m-0m)/1s. That gave me 2.70m/s. If that's not how I get the velocity, then I don't know how to. Those are the only formulas my professor has us use.

kylenic1997 said:
I got 2.70m/s from (X-Xo)/t. With the info given I got (2.70m-0m)/1s. That gave me 2.70m/s. If that's not how I get the velocity, then I don't know how to. Those are the only formulas my professor has us use.
That equation gives you the average velocity. If the boulder is accelerating, its starting velocity will be lower than that and its ending velocity will be higher than that. Knowing an average velocity will not help you calculate acceleration.

So... re-read post #2. What other equations might you consider using?

Hmmm... the second equation in the list post #1 is incorrect anyway.
Best not to rely on memorizing equations.

If you started at velocity v and stayed at that velocity for time t, how far did you travel (whats the equation)?
If you started at 0, and ended at v by constant accelerarion, would you have traveled farther or less far than if you traveled at a constant speed? Can you work out what the equation has to be?

Hint: sketch the v-t graph... displacement is the area under the graph.

1. What is acceleration and how is it determined?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's speed, or change its direction of motion. It is also a result of the net force acting on an object, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a certain period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. In other words, average acceleration is a general measure, while instantaneous acceleration is a specific measurement at a given point in time.

5. How do you calculate acceleration from a velocity vs. time graph?

The slope of a velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration of an object. If the graph is a straight line, the slope can be calculated using the rise (change in velocity) over the run (change in time). If the graph is curved, the slope at a certain point can be calculated by drawing a tangent line and finding its slope using rise over run.