How to Determine Frame Size with Lorentz Transformation

• Thread starter genxium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx Frame
In summary: When there is more than one variable involved, it's not true thatdx' = \frac{dx'}{dx}\,dxThe correct equation is dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}\,dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y}\,dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z}\,dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}\,dt
genxium
First time posting in this section. I understand that this question could possibly be an old and common question about Lorentz Transformation, however I failed to find useful discussions or instructions online.

Assuming that there're 2 frames ##S, S'## where ##S'## moves along the ##x_{+}## axis of ##S## at constant speed ##v##. The frames coincide at ##<0,0,0,0>## (as well as their rectilinear coordinate axes) for a starting event ##P## and then measure ##<x, y, z, t>## and ##<x', y', z', t'>## respectively for event ##Q##.

According to Lorentz Transform I shall have:

##x'=\gamma \cdot (x-vt)##
##t'=\gamma \cdot (t-\frac{vx}{c^2})##

where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

Now that ##\frac{dx'}{dx} = \gamma## which indicates that ##\frac{dx'}{dx}## is independent of the direction of ##v## along the ##x## axis. However it doesn't make sense to me here. If I introduce a 3rd frame ##S''## which moves along the ##x_{-}## direction of ##S## at a constant speed ##v##, then should I get ##\frac{dx''}{dx}=\gamma## as well and further ##dx'' = dx'## (which should NOT hold bcz ##S'## and ##S''## are dynamic to each other)? Did I make a mistake in the calculation?

I'm quite confused for how "some degree of symmetry" (for relation of ##dx, dx', dx''## above) could be achieved if Lorentz Transformation is true. Any help will be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When there is more than one variable involved, it's not true that[tex]
dx' = \frac{dx'}{dx}\,dx
[/tex]The correct equation is [tex]
dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}\,dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y}\,dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z}\,dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}\,dt
[/tex]

Hi @DrGreg, I'm not sure how I should interpret your answer. Of course you're right about that ##dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z} dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t} dt##, however if ##dx, dy, dz, dt## are mutually independent then ##\frac{dx'}{dx} = \gamma## should still hold. Do you imply that ##dx, dy, dz, dt## can NEVER be mutually independent for any events ##P## and ##Q##?

I tried to put the classical thought experiment where ##P## is "emission of light along x+ axis of ##S##(as well as ##S'##)" and ##Q## is "detection of light somewhere in space-time of ##S##(as well as ##S'##)" into calculation. Now I have ##x=ct## of ##S## as variable dependency but I'm still lost in the maths :(

Maybe I shall re-describe the question this way: 2 observers Alice and Bob who remain still in frame ##S## and ##S'## respectively where ##S## and ##S'## are the same as stated in my original question. Alice learns Special Relativity and he figures out that currently for 2 specific events ##P, Q## Bob measures larger(or smaller maybe, haven't figured this out) time-elapsed ##dt'## than his own measurement ##dt##. Can Alice just reverse the direction of his ##x##-axis(i.e. rotate around the ##z##-axis) and say that "from now on Bob measures smaller ##dt'## than my ##dt##"? In short is measurement dependent upon "choice of coordinate axes" or "alignment of coordinate axes"?

genxium said:
Of course you're right about that ##dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z} dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t} dt##, however if ##dx, dy, dz, dt## are mutually independent then ##\frac{dx'}{dx} = \gamma## should still hold.
To put it more precisely, ##dx' = \gamma dx## is true provided ##dt = 0##. (In your question ##dy = dz = 0## always, so we can ignore those.)

Similarly, ##dx'' = \gamma dx## is true provided ##dt = 0##. When you come to compare S' with S'', however, you can only conclude that ##dx'' = dx'## whenever ##dt = 0##, when really what you are interested is when ##dt' = 0## (or ##dt'' = 0## if you are comparing S' with S'').

@DrGreg, that makes sense. Do you minding taking a look at this as well(quoted from my previous reply)?

2 observers Alice and Bob who remain still in frame ##S## and ##S′## respectively where ##S## and ##S′## are the same as stated in my original question. Alice learns Special Relativity and he figures out that currently for 2 specific events ##P,Q## Bob measures larger(or smaller maybe, haven't figured this out) time-elapsed ##dt′## than his own measurement ##dt##. Can Alice just reverse the direction of his ##x##-axis(i.e. rotate around the ##z##-axis) and say that "from now on Bob measures smaller ##dt′## than my ##dt##"? In short is measurement dependent upon "choice of coordinate axes" or "alignment of coordinate axes"?

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It allows us to calculate how measurements of space and time change for an observer in one frame of reference compared to another observer in a different frame of reference.

2. Why is it important to determine frame size with Lorentz Transformation?

Determining frame size with Lorentz Transformation is important because it allows us to accurately measure and understand the effects of special relativity on objects moving at high speeds. It is crucial for many applications, including space travel, satellite communication, and particle physics.

3. How do you determine frame size with Lorentz Transformation?

To determine frame size with Lorentz Transformation, you need to know the relative velocity between the two frames of reference and the length of an object in one frame. You then use the Lorentz Transformation equation to calculate the length of the object in the other frame of reference.

4. Are there any limitations to using Lorentz Transformation to determine frame size?

Yes, there are limitations to using Lorentz Transformation. It only applies to objects moving at constant velocities in a straight line and does not take into account the effects of acceleration. It also does not work for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. Can Lorentz Transformation be used for objects moving in three dimensions?

Yes, Lorentz Transformation can be used for objects moving in three dimensions. The equations become more complex, but the fundamental principles remain the same. It is an essential tool for understanding the effects of special relativity on objects moving in any direction.