How to determine the time it takes for metals to reach a temp

In summary, the time required to reach a temperature of the environment in which it is placed depends on the mass and the initial starting temperature. The resin has a fairly wide tolerance, so it is just that the longer it is at temperature, the harder and more rigid it will become.
Altrepair
I need to know how to find the time required for metals such as steel and copper to reach a temperature of the environment in which it is placed, based on its mass and the initial starting temperature such as the room temperature. This is important for me because I am going to start up an alternator re-wind business and the directions for the resin clearly states that the cure time does not start until the part has reached the same temperature as the oven it is inside of instead of what the temperature of the pre-heated oven is at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Altrepair.
I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible, let alone practical. There are a lot of variables, such as the exact composition of alloy, thickness, etc.. Does it have to be of constant temperature all of the way through, or only on the surface?
If time-expenditure isn't critical, I'd just give it an hour more than your best guess to be sure. Otherwise, you can get remote touchless thermometers that might work for your purpose.

I only need an approximate formula. Uniformity of temperature throughout the material is not important. The resin has a fairly wide tolerance. It is just that the longer it is at temperature, the harder and more rigid it will become. Rigidity of windings in motor or alternator repair is important because of vibration and heat which kills windings if the resin has not been cured at proper temperature for a specific length of time. I want to have it done in a relatively short time frame without the need of thermal sensors as time is money and energy used is money loss too.

Altrepair said:
time is money and energy used is money loss too.

Gotcha... I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, math is absolutely not my bag. You'll have to wait for someone else to chirp up. Good luck with it.

I think the time required is something like cooking a turkey; you want to be sure the meat in the center is not pink. Turkey cooking time seems to scale linearly with weight, so it's proportional to the cube of diameter. You could measure the resistance of a winding, because that increases with temperature. Also, a convection oven would speed up the process over a conventional oven. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature?

The time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature can be determined using the formula: time = (specific heat capacity x mass x temperature change) / thermal conductivity. This formula takes into account the specific properties of the metal, such as its heat capacity and thermal conductivity, as well as the amount of heat needed to raise its temperature.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature?

The time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature can be affected by factors such as the type of metal, its mass, the initial and final temperatures, and the surrounding environment. Other factors, such as the heat source used and the surface area of the metal, can also play a role in determining the time it takes for the metal to heat up.

3. Can the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature vary for different metals?

Yes, the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature can vary for different metals. This is because each metal has its own unique properties, such as its heat capacity and thermal conductivity, which can affect how quickly it absorbs heat and reaches a certain temperature. Additionally, the starting temperature and surrounding environment can also impact the time it takes for a metal to heat up.

4. What is the significance of determining the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature?

Determining the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature is important in various industries, such as manufacturing and engineering. This information can be used to optimize processes, such as heat treatment and metal casting, to ensure that the metal reaches the desired temperature at the right time. It can also help in understanding the behavior of metals under different conditions and in predicting their performance in various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature?

Yes, there are some limitations to determining the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature. The formula used to calculate this time is based on certain assumptions and may not account for all variables in a real-world scenario. Additionally, the properties of the metal may change as it heats up, affecting the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to consider these limitations when using this method to determine the time it takes for metals to reach a certain temperature.