1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to find a hollow cuboid's resistance

1. Sep 6, 2016 #1
    how to find a hollow cuboid's resistance between two points on same face but not lying on the edges. the line joining 2 points is parallel to the length of the cuboid.
    resistivity is uniform
    another related doubt - will resistance between those same points change if the cuboid is deformed (the box is crumbled)
    pub?w=1440&h=1080.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2016 #2
    If you are looking for a simple formula I am afraid you won't find it. The distribution of electric field and current is not uniform. And they depend on each other.
    You probably need numerical methods to solve the differential equations.
    Maybe some empirical formula may be found, if such is used in some industrial application.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

Tom.G

Science Advisor

"Crumbled" means broken into pieces, as when a cookie is broken into crumbs. Answer: Yes
    "Crumpled" means deformed or its shape changed without breaking off any pieces. Answer: No. If surfaces don't touch each other and the material is not stretched.

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not so sure about this. As the theoretical treatment is very complicated, I suggest to simply to an experiment, measuring the resistance. I guess it's not so difficult to do qualitatively with house-hold means. Just use aluminum foil and wrap a cubic box (easily tinkered with some cardboard. Also nearly any modern digital multimeter has an ohm-meter mode :-).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted