How to find a speed when only a speed and velocity are given?

In summary, the question asks for the constant speed of a car during the second distance d, given that it travels at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for the first distance d and has an average velocity of 32.0 mi/h for the entire trip. By setting up equations for average velocity and total time taken for the trip, a numerical value for d can be inserted to solve for the constant speed in the second distance. Alternatively, two different values can be inserted to confirm the same answer.
DatAshe

Homework Statement

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 32.0 mi/h.
(a) What is the constant speed with which the car moved during the second distance d?
mi/hr

Homework Equations

avg=(x_1+x_2+...x_2)/n

The Attempt at a Solution

(48.5+x)/2=32.0
2((48.5+x)/2=32*2
48.5+x=64
(48.5+x)-48.5=64-48.5
x=15.5

This is the only way that I can think of to relate the variables to each other because I don't have a distance or time for any part of in. 15.5 is incorrect, and I'm not looking for an answer, I'm looking for how to relate the variables and find the second constant speed in any situation. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
DatAshe said:

Homework Statement

A car travels along a straight line at a constant speed of 48.5 mi/h for a distance d and then another distance d in the same direction at another constant speed. The average velocity for the entire trip is 32.0 mi/h.
(a) What is the constant speed with which the car moved during the second distance d?
mi/hr

Homework Equations

avg=(x_1+x_2+...x_2)/n

The Attempt at a Solution

(48.5+x)/2=32.0
2((48.5+x)/2=32*2
48.5+x=64
(48.5+x)-48.5=64-48.5
x=15.5

This is the only way that I can think of to relate the variables to each other because I don't have a distance or time for any part of in. 15.5 is incorrect, and I'm not looking for an answer, I'm looking for how to relate the variables and find the second constant speed in any situation. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

The line highlighted in red above is what you would use if the car traveled at the two separate speeds for equal times. The car actually traveled for the same distance at each speed, so the times are different and the average cannot be calculated in this simple way.

You could always try putting in a numerical value for d; something convenient - perhaps 48.5 miles.
That means the first part of the journey takes 1 hour, and the total distance is 97 miles.
To average 32 mph, the whole journey takes a little over 3 hours - so just over 2 hours to cover the second 48.5 miles, so a speed of approximately 24 mi/h.
[what a pity that first speed wasn't a nice 48 mi/hr.

Thank you so much! I didn't know that you could do that! You, PeterO, are the bomb!:D

Average speed= total distance/total time taken.

You know total distance is 2d and total time taken is sum of time of each speed covering a distance d.

Here you have 3 unknowns and you have to find 3 equations to solve the problem.

DatAshe said:
Thank you so much! I didn't know that you could do that! You, PeterO, are the bomb!:D

you could have an algebraic solution involving d [where the d will eventually cancel out, or substitute a convenient value.
If you are not sure that choosing a particular value will affect/change the situation, you can try two different values, to confirm that the same answer results each time.
Some people find two numerical calculations easier and faster than one algebraic calculation.

Related to How to find a speed when only a speed and velocity are given?

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

Can you find the speed when only a speed and velocity are given?

Yes, you can find the speed when only a speed and velocity are given. In this case, the speed is simply the magnitude of the velocity, which can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the velocity components.

What if only the magnitude of the velocity is given?

If only the magnitude of the velocity is given, you can still find the speed. The magnitude of the velocity is equal to the speed, so you can simply use the given magnitude as the speed in your calculations.

How do you calculate speed when both speed and velocity are given in the same direction?

If both speed and velocity are given in the same direction, then the speed is equal to the magnitude of the velocity. This means that you can use the given velocity as the speed in your calculations.

What if the velocity is given in a different direction than the speed?

In this case, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the speed. The speed will be equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the velocity components in the direction of motion.