How to find acceleration given two masses , an angle ,and kinetic fric

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of two masses connected by a string and sliding on a ramp with a coefficient of kinetic friction. The correct equation for finding the acceleration is (g[-m1sin35°-m1cos35°μk+m2])/(m1+m2), which gives a result of 2.58 m/s^2. There was some initial confusion about the direction of forces and a correction was made. The conversation also includes a link to a forum where the question was originally asked.
Sneakatone
Two masses m1=3.2 kg and m2=4.7 kg are connected by a thin string running over a massless pulley. One of the masses hangs from the string , the other mass slides on a 35 degree ramp with a coefficient of kinetic friction uk= 0.30. What is the acceleration of the masses?

I used 9.81(4.7-3.2[0.3cos(35)-sin(35)]/(3.2+4.7)=7.13 but its wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

...wonder if instead of trying to deflect coming asteriods away from earth, if instead we can deflect them towards Venus (similar size planet) so to activate a magnetic field and end its runaway greenhouse effect atmosphere. Two Earths are better than one...of course we would need to get a moon there somehow

??

I think (g(m1sen35º-m1cos35ºuk+m2))/(m1+m2) should do the trick.

would I need to convert to any specific units? like mm to m, g to kg?

I did (9.81(3.2sin(35)-3.2cos(35)(0.3)+4.7))/(3.2+4.7)=7.13
and it is wrong

Does it tell you which mass is on which end of the string?

yea m2 is hanging at the end of the string

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-01 at 4.46.35 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-01 at 4.46.35 PM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 642

Sneakatone said:
and it is wrong

No, it gives -6.46, i.e the masses accelerate in the other direction.

If your saying the answer for acceleration is -6.46 then its wrong.

Try 6.46?

that is also incorrect.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-01 at 5.33.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-01 at 5.33.52 PM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 539

Sneakatone said:
and it is wrong
You have a sign wrong. Think about which way the forces on m1 parallel to the ramp act.

I switched cos with sin n I got 8 which is wrong

Sneakatone said:
I switched cos with sin n I got 8 which is wrong
Wrong correction. List the forces acting on m1 parallel to the ramp. What are their magnitudes? Which ones act in the direction of acceleration and which oppose it? What does that make the net force producing the acceleration?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the first post.

Try this equation for the acceleration:

(g[-m1sin35°-m1cos35°μk+m2])/(m1+m2)

It gives 2,58 m/s^2

can someone please help with my question now?

Did my equation work?

Bananas40 said:
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the first post.

Try this equation for the acceleration:

(g[-m1sin35°-m1cos35°μk+m2])/(m1+m2)

It gives 2,58 m/s^2

I agree with that.

Related to How to find acceleration given two masses , an angle ,and kinetic fric

1. What is the formula for finding acceleration using two masses, an angle, and kinetic friction?

The formula for finding acceleration in this scenario is a = (m1 - m2)g sinθ - μk(m1 + m2)cosθ / m1 + m2, where m1 and m2 are the masses, θ is the angle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

2. How is the angle between the two masses determined?

The angle between the two masses can be determined by drawing a free-body diagram and using trigonometric functions to find the angle between the horizontal and the force of kinetic friction.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of kinetic friction in this equation?

The coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) represents the amount of resistance to motion between the two surfaces in contact. It is necessary in this equation because it affects the force of friction and therefore the acceleration of the masses.

4. Can this formula be used for objects with varying masses and angles?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects with varying masses and angles as long as all the necessary variables are known and the angle is measured between the horizontal and the force of kinetic friction.

5. How can this formula be applied in real-life situations?

This formula can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the acceleration of objects on an inclined plane or the motion of objects on a surface with friction. It is also commonly used in physics experiments and engineering calculations.