How to find an average acceleration using an average velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m. The individual has previously calculated the average velocity as 1.146788991m/s over a time of 8.72s, but is unable to use a_ave=(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti) due to not knowing the final velocity. The question of whether or not to multiply average velocity by time is also raised. However, without the full problem statement, it is difficult to determine the correct equation to use.
Cacti
Homework Statement
Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Relevant Equations
None given
I calculated the average velocity in a previous problem and got 1.146788991m/s over a time of 8.72s. I know I can’t use a_ave=(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti) because I don’t know the final velocity and have no way to find it. Do I multiply average velocity by time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cacti said:
Homework Statement: Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Homework Equations: None given

I calculated the average velocity in a previous problem and got 1.146788991m/s over a time of 8.72s. I know I can’t use a_ave=(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti) because I don’t know the final velocity and have no way to find it. Do I multiply average velocity by time?
Please post the full problem so that we can see what data you have available.

Likes FactChecker
The full problem statement is necessary. For one thing, there is a difference between "average" over time versus "average" over distance.

Cacti said:
Do I multiply average velocity by time?
Not if you are looking for something that has dimensions of acceleration.

Maybe average velocity= (Vf - Vi)/2?

Cacti said:
Homework Statement: Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Homework Equations: None given

The rule of the HW forum is that you post the full statement of the problem, not just snippets of it.

Zz.

1. What is the formula for finding average acceleration using average velocity?

The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do I determine the units for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This can also be written as m/s/s or simply m/s^2.

3. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down.

4. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of how an object's velocity changes over time, while instantaneous acceleration shows how an object's velocity is changing at that specific instant.

5. Can I use average acceleration to determine an object's speed?

No, average acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time, not its speed. To determine an object's speed, you would need to use the formula v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time interval.