How to find forces acting on object on a slope?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the forces acting on an object at rest on a slope at an angle σ using trigonometry. The correct equations to use are Ft = G sinσ and Fn = G cosσ. The triangle of forces, with G representing the vertical line, must be redrawn separately and labeled in order to solve for these forces. The use of Soh Cah Toa may not be relevant in this scenario.
urbano

Homework Statement

an object is at rest on a slope at angle of σ

Using trigonometry, solve the forces acting at Ft and Fn

2ezlnqa.jpg

Homework Equations

Soh
Cah
Toa

The Attempt at a Solution

sin σ = G/Ft
sin σ /Ft = G
G/ sin σ = Ft (my final answer)

Book says correct answer is Ft = G sinσFn = ? I wanst even sure how to strat this using σ

The book says the correct answer is Fn = G cosσ

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The force G can be resolved into 2 components: one which is normal to the slope (the exact opposite to Fn), and one which is parallel to the slope (the exact opposite to Ft).

Draw the triangle of forces showing how G equals the vector sum of these two forces.

edited...I'll be back

Last edited:
Thanks NascentOxygen. Unfortunately I don't quite get why the answers are what they are. I have drawn myself a new triangle which shows the two vector forces but I still don't understand where the answers have come from.

Especially Fn = G cosσ. I thought cos in basic terms meant adjacent/hypothenuse . So if the sloped line is the hypothenuse and the bottom line is the adjacent once I draw the line which is exact opposite to Fn I now no longer have a right angle triangle...arghh! I'm just so confused...

Show your diagrams.

here is my latest diagram
2yw8ygz.jpg

I'm now starting to think Soh Cah Toa isn't actually relevant there ?

Fn = G cosσ Ft = Gσ

I'm unsure where these two formulas/equations have come from and why Soh Cah Toa isn't relevant here...

I must be missing something fundamental

urbano said:
It's the triangle beneath the object which you need to focus on.
redraw it separately, and larger, and label what you know. Its vertical line represents G Newtons.

urbano said:
It's the triangle beneath the object which you need to focus on. Redraw it separately, and larger, and label what you know. Its vertical line represents G Newtons.

1. What are the types of forces acting on an object on a slope?

There are typically three types of forces acting on an object on a slope: gravity, normal force, and friction. Gravity pulls the object downwards, the normal force acts perpendicular to the slope to prevent the object from sinking into it, and friction opposes the object's motion along the slope.

2. How do I calculate the normal force on an object on a slope?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula: N = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. How do I determine the direction of the net force on an object on a slope?

The direction of the net force on an object on a slope is determined by the combination of all the forces acting on the object. If the net force is in the direction of the slope, the object will accelerate downhill. If the net force is opposite to the direction of the slope, the object will accelerate uphill. If the net force is perpendicular to the slope, the object will remain stationary.

4. What is the formula for calculating the frictional force on an object on a slope?

The frictional force can be calculated using the formula: Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

5. How does the angle of the slope affect the forces acting on an object?

The angle of the slope affects the normal force and the frictional force acting on an object. As the angle of the slope increases, the normal force decreases and the frictional force increases. This means that the object will slide down the slope more easily at steeper angles.