How to Find Indefinite Integral Using U-substitution

In summary, using u-substitution, the indefinite integral of [sin(2x)/cos^4(2x)] dx is 1/6cos^-3(2x) + C. The correct substitution to use is u = cos(2x).
mattmannmf
Using U-substitution find the indefinite integral of:

[sin(2x)/cos^4(2x)] dx

So I do know that it will have to come out to it being ln... here's what i did so far
ok so i made u= cos^4(2x)
du= -8cos^3(2x)*sin(2x)dx...(just took the derivative of u and simplified it)

so made sin(2x)dx= du/(-8cos^3(2x))...so i can substitute it into my equation.

so it came out to be:
du/(u*-8cos^3(2x))...but in using u-substitution, i should not have an x variable...

So do i have to minipulate u=cos^4(2x) to get x by its self?
I get x= .5cos^-1(4sqrt(x))

It just seems like its sooooo complicated.. don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it definitely won't come out being ln(something).
mattmannmf said:
It just seems like its sooooo complicated.. don't know.
That's because you're making it too complicated by using the wrong substitution. Instead, use u = cos(2x).

ok thanks...
So u=cos(2x)
-du/2= sin(2x) dx...then i substitute:

=-1/2[integral]du/u^4
where i get =-1/2[integral] u^-4du
=-1/2*-1/3u^-3+C
=1/6u^-3+C

Is that correct?...then i can just substitute what u equals into the equation (since they started in terms of x, ill leave it in terms of x)

Right. And after you undo your substitution you can check your answer. Its derivative should be [sin(2x)/cos^4(2x)].

Related to How to Find Indefinite Integral Using U-substitution

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical operation that involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the original function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

How do you find an indefinite integral?

To find an indefinite integral, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. You can also use integral tables or online calculators to find the solution.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

The main difference between definite and indefinite integrals is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, whereas an indefinite integral will give a general solution in terms of a constant.

What are some real-world applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the work done by a force, the displacement of an object, and the accumulation of a quantity over time, among others.

Can you solve any function using indefinite integrals?

No, not all functions can be solved using indefinite integrals. Some functions are not integrable or require advanced integration techniques that may not have closed-form solutions. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution.