How to Find initial Velocity at 90 degrees with only a time variable given

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding the initial velocity of a nerf dart launcher given the information that the dart is launched upwards at a 90 degrees with the top of the launcher at 1.953ft and hits the ground .43 seconds later. The person asking for help is reminded to provide their attempted solution and relevant equations according to forum guidelines.
cloakblade5
I am given the information that a nerf dart is launched upwards at a 90 degrees with the top of the launcher at 1.953ft and that it hits the ground .43 seconds later. I am then tasked with finding the initial velocity of the launcher and I have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
cloakblade5 said:
I am given the information that a nerf dart is launched upwards at a 90 degrees with the top of the launcher at 1.953ft and that it hits the ground .43 seconds later. I am then tasked with finding the initial velocity of the launcher and I have no idea where to start.
Welcome to PF cloakblade5,

You must have some idea as where to start, which concept(s) are involved? What are the relevant equations?

Please be aware the according to our forum guidelines, you are required to post an attempted solution when asking for homework assistance.

To find the initial velocity in this scenario, we can use the equation: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity (which in this case is 0 since the dart hits the ground), u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time (0.43 seconds).

First, we need to convert the given distance and time into SI units (meters and seconds). 1.953ft is approximately 0.595 meters. Plugging in the values into the equation, we get: 0 = u + (9.8 m/s^2)(0.43 s).

Solving for u, we get u = -4.214 m/s. However, this value is negative because our initial velocity is directed upwards, opposite to the direction of gravity. Therefore, the initial velocity of the nerf dart launcher at 90 degrees is approximately 4.214 m/s.

To double check our answer, we can also use the equation: s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement (0.595 meters), u is the initial velocity (which we just solved for), a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time (0.43 seconds).

Plugging in the values, we get: 0.595 = (4.214 m/s)(0.43 s) + 1/2 (9.8 m/s^2)(0.43 s)^2. Solving for u, we get the same result of approximately 4.214 m/s.

Therefore, the initial velocity of the nerf dart launcher at 90 degrees is 4.214 m/s.

FAQ: How to Find initial Velocity at 90 degrees with only a time variable given

1. How do I find the initial velocity at 90 degrees with only a time variable given?

To find the initial velocity at 90 degrees, you can use the formula v = gt, where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. The initial velocity at 90 degrees will be equal to the value of t multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can I use the same formula to find the initial velocity at any angle?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the initial velocity at 90 degrees. To find the initial velocity at any other angle, you will need to use a different formula, such as v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the initial velocity?

The unit of measurement for initial velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can I use this formula for objects with different masses?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects with different masses because the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects in a vacuum.

5. Is there a minimum or maximum time that can be used in this formula?

There is no minimum or maximum time that can be used in this formula. However, it is important to ensure that the time variable given is accurate and appropriate for the situation in order to get an accurate initial velocity value.

Back