How to find kinetic energy of a particle as a function of time?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy of a 5kg particle moving in the x-y plane, with its position varying as a function of time. The particle's position is given by the vector expression r, which can be represented as a function of time. The dot product of v and v, where v is the particle's velocity, can be used to find the kinetic energy of the particle. The kinetic energy will vary with time, as v contains the variable t.
wcwcaseman

Homework Statement

The position of a 5kg particle moving in the x-y plane varies as a function of time according to the expression

r = [(3t + 1)m]i + [(-4t^2 +5t + 2)m]j

(r is a vector I just didn't know how to make the arrow over head)

Find the kinetic energy of the particle as a function of time

Homework Equations

k = 1/2 mx+b

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dx r = [(3t + 1)m]i + [(-4t^2 +5t + 2)m]j

v = 3i + (-8t +5)j

v =(3i^2 + (-8t +5)j^2)^(1/2)?

3t+1 = 0
t= 1/3 for x

-4t^2 +5t + 2

t= -.44 or t= 1.69 for y??

Very confused don't know what vector r is. Is it already a function of time or what. I'm very confused and don't understand how to solve please help

Physics news on Phys.org
KE=1/2 mv2

and v2 is the same as v.v

rock.freak667 said:
KE=1/2 mv2

and v2 is the same as v.v

so ...

v = 3i * (-8t +5)j

v = (-24t +15)^1/2? and if so were do I go from there?

wcwcaseman said:
so ...

v = 3i * (-8t +5)j

v = (-24t +15)^1/2? and if so were do I go from there?

If v = 3i + (-8t +5)j, then compute v.v, the dot product of v and v.

rock.freak667 said:
If v = 3i + (-8t +5)j, then compute v.v, the dot product of v and v.

I'm not sure if I'm correct in my assumption that v = 3i + (-8t +5)j also I don't see how the dot product could be used since we have the variable t ?

What was that "m" in your initial equation for r? If that shouldn't have been there, your expression for v is correct.

Who cares about the t. Just do v dot v the usual way and see what happens. Do you get something with t in it? That's how v^2 varies with t.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that a moving object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy related to time?

Kinetic energy is not directly related to time. Instead, it is a function of the object's mass and velocity. However, the kinetic energy of an object can change over time as its velocity changes.

3. How do I calculate the kinetic energy of a particle?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a particle be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative. Since kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, it only has a magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it is always expressed as a positive value.

5. How can I graph the kinetic energy of a particle as a function of time?

To graph the kinetic energy of a particle as a function of time, you will need to measure the mass and velocity of the particle at different points in time and plug those values into the kinetic energy formula. The resulting values can then be plotted on a graph with time on the x-axis and kinetic energy on the y-axis.