How to find missing final/initial temp

• Thread starter Mackydoodle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with solving a problem involving finding the final temperature of a sample using specific heat and given values for mass and initial temperature. The person is also asking for any equations that could help solve this type of problem.
Mackydoodle
(this is my first post I hope this is the right)

Ok, so I am confused when given a problem where I have to find the missing final or initial temperature.

Here is an example of one such problem that confuses me:

A 68.2 g sample of copper at 21.2 °C is heated with 75.0 J. The specific heat of copper is 0.385
J/g °C. What is the final temperature of the sample?

I have a big test soon... and would really like to have a good undersating of these types of problems. ANY help would be great!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not a right place - this is a homework type question (even if not a homework per se), so you should post in the homework section.

What equations do you know that combine change in temperature, mass and amount of heat?

1. How do I calculate the missing final/initial temperature?

To calculate the missing final/initial temperature, you will need to use the specific heat capacity equation which is Q = mcΔT. Q represents the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Rearrange the equation to solve for the missing temperature: ΔT = Q/mc.

2. What information do I need to find the missing final/initial temperature?

To find the missing final/initial temperature, you will need to know the heat energy, mass of the substance, and the specific heat capacity. These three variables are necessary to solve the specific heat capacity equation and find the missing temperature.

3. How do I know which specific heat capacity to use?

The specific heat capacity varies depending on the substance. Many reference tables or textbooks provide a list of specific heat capacities for common substances. Make sure to use the correct specific heat capacity for the substance you are working with to get an accurate calculation.

4. Can I use the specific heat capacity equation for any substance?

Yes, the specific heat capacity equation can be used for any substance as long as the heat energy, mass, and specific heat capacity values are known. However, keep in mind that the specific heat capacity may vary for different substances, so make sure to use the correct value for the substance you are working with.

5. What are the units for the specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity is typically measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) or in joules per kilogram per Kelvin (J/kg•K). Make sure to use the correct units for all variables in the specific heat capacity equation to get an accurate calculation.