How to find short pitch and pole pairs of motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the number of pole pairs on a motor, as well as determining the short pitch from a developed diagram. It also mentions the importance of understanding key vocabulary terms and provides helpful resources for further understanding.
kenok1216

Homework Statement

Motor.PNG

Homework Equations

p=nsf
δ=mϒ
Kd=[sin(δ/2)]/msin(γ/2)
Kp=cosε/2
e.m.f=4.44TφfKdKp

The Attempt at a Solution

i do not know why pole pair =2 and it is short 2 pitch.
how can i find pole pair and short pitch from its original developed diagram?
i know that Phase spread=60(we choose)
So for narrow spread ,the pattern is A-CB-AC-B
for m=2 for each phase it have 2 slot.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I determine the pitch and pole pairs of a motor?

To find the pitch and pole pairs of a motor, you will need to measure the distance between each coil in the motor. This distance is known as the pitch. Then, count the number of poles in the motor by looking at the number of electromagnets on the rotor. The pitch and pole pairs can also be found in the motor's specifications or datasheet.

2. Can I use a multimeter to find the pitch and pole pairs of a motor?

No, a multimeter is not an accurate tool for determining the pitch and pole pairs of a motor. It can only measure electrical properties such as voltage and resistance, not physical dimensions. You will need to physically measure the motor to find the pitch and pole pairs.

3. Do all motors have the same pitch and pole pairs?

No, the pitch and pole pairs can vary among different types of motors. For example, a stepper motor typically has a higher number of poles and a shorter pitch compared to a DC motor. It is important to consult the motor's specifications to determine the exact pitch and pole pairs.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help me find the pitch and pole pairs of a motor?

Yes, there are specialized tools and techniques that can help you find the pitch and pole pairs of a motor. For example, a caliper can be used to measure the pitch, and a stroboscope can be used to count the number of poles. Additionally, there are online calculators and software programs that can assist in determining the pitch and pole pairs.

5. Why is it important to know the pitch and pole pairs of a motor?

Knowing the pitch and pole pairs of a motor is essential for proper motor selection and operation. The pitch and pole pairs determine the motor's speed, torque, and power output, which are crucial factors in determining its suitability for a specific application. Additionally, understanding the pitch and pole pairs can help troubleshoot any issues with the motor's performance.