How to find the angle that will pull the most weight

In summary, to maximize the weight of the box pulled across the floor by a cable, the angle between the cable and the horizontal must be at a maximum.
Erratus

Homework Statement

Straight out of the book: "An initially stationary box of sand is to be pulled across a floor by means of a cable in which the tension should not exceed 1100N. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor is 0.35. (a) What should be the angle between the cable and the horizontal in order to pull the greatest possible amount of sand and (b) what is the weight of the sand and box in that situation?"

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fs = μsFN

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've decided that the x component, that is, the 1100N (I call this Fc) times cosθ, has to be equal to static friction. If it wasn't, then more sand could be added until it was (is this an incorrect assumption?). From there I tried to solve it like my professor has been doing by analzying the sum of the forces in the x direction and y direction separately to try to get two equations with two variables. The idea then would be that it would be an algebra problem, but I keep getting three unknowns (FN, Fg, and θ). I'll go ahead and show my work, I am probably going something wrong or going about it the wrong way (if I wasn't, this problem would have been done long ago).

Ʃ Fx = FcCosθ - Fs = 0

Or

FcCosθ = μsFN

Ʃ Fy = FcSinθ + FN - Fg= 0

or

FcSinθ + FN = Fg

So, I don't know θ, FN, or Fg and I don't see any third equation that I can use to eliminate a variable. Do I have to set the y component of Fc to something like I did the x component? Or was that my mistake from the beginning? Also, I will probably be spamming this forum with physics problems, sorry and if there is a limit do say. But I am tired of struggling with these homework problems, and the professor's hours are kind of awkward for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are doing OK so far.
Use the first equation to replace F_N in the second. You'll have Fg, or the weight of the box, as a function of the angle (Fc is a constant).
Find the angle which maximizes that function.

FCosθ=Nμ ...(1)
N=mg-FSinθ ...(2)

Sub.(2) in (1).
FCosθ=(mg-FSinθ)μ
FCosθ=mgμ-FSinθμ

mgμ=F(Cosθ+Sinθμ)

Maximum value of (Cosθ+Sinθμ) is when Cosθμ-Sinθ=0
Edit: Errors . Thanks Nasu

Last edited:
You forgot to multiply N by Fsinθ when you multiplied the parenthesis (fourth equation).

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables involved. In this case, the equations of Newton's laws of motion (F = ma) and the equation for static friction (Fs = μsFN) are applicable. The variables in this problem are the tension in the cable (Fc), the coefficient of static friction (μs), the normal force (FN), the weight of the box and sand (Fg), and the angle between the cable and the horizontal (θ).

To find the angle that will pull the most weight, we need to consider the maximum possible tension in the cable (Fc) and the maximum possible static friction force (Fs). Using the equation Fs = μsFN, we can see that the maximum static friction force is equal to μsFN. We also know that the maximum tension in the cable is 1100N. Therefore, to pull the most weight, we need to find the angle that maximizes the product of these two values.

To do this, we can use the equations for the x and y components of the forces (Ʃ Fx = FcCosθ - Fs = 0 and Ʃ Fy = FcSinθ + FN - Fg = 0) and solve for the normal force (FN) and the weight (Fg). Once we have these values, we can plug them into the equation for the maximum static friction force (Fs = μsFN) and solve for the angle θ.

In summary, to find the angle that will pull the most weight, we need to use the equations of Newton's laws and static friction, solve for the normal force and weight, and then use these values to determine the angle that maximizes the product of the tension and static friction force.

Related to How to find the angle that will pull the most weight

1. How do you determine the angle that will pull the most weight?

The angle that will pull the most weight can be determined by using the principle of maximum efficiency. This means finding the angle at which the force applied is perpendicular to the direction of motion, which will result in the maximum amount of work being done.

2. What is the principle of maximum efficiency?

The principle of maximum efficiency states that the most work is done when the force applied is perpendicular to the direction of motion. This is because the force is fully utilized in moving the object in the desired direction, rather than being partially used to overcome the force of gravity or friction.

3. How can I calculate the angle of maximum efficiency?

The angle of maximum efficiency can be calculated using the formula tan θ = coefficient of static friction. This formula takes into account the surface and materials involved and provides the angle at which the force applied will be most effective in pulling the weight.

4. Is there a universal angle that will pull the most weight for all situations?

No, there is not a universal angle that will pull the most weight for all situations. The angle of maximum efficiency varies depending on the surface and materials involved, and must be calculated for each specific scenario.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the angle that will pull the most weight?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the angle that will pull the most weight, such as the surface and materials involved, the weight of the object, and external forces such as wind. Additionally, the angle of maximum efficiency may change over time as the surface or materials wear down or change. It is important to recalculate the angle regularly for optimal results.