How to get the matrices in partial trace

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for the trace of a matrix and its representation in matrix form. The formula involves the identity matrix, the 0 matrix, and bra-ket notation. The conversation also includes questions about the meaning of "d" in the formula and how the first 2x4 matrix was obtained.
munirah

Homework Statement

Good day,

I want to ask the matrix that obtained from below formula and example.

$$tr_A(L_{AB})=\sum_i [(\langle i|\otimes id)L_{AB}(|i\rangle\otimes id)]$$

this formula above can be represented as in matrix form below,

$$tr_A(L_{AB})= \left(\array{1&0&0&0\\0&1&0&0}\right)\cdot \left(\array{0&0&1&0\\1&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0} \right)\cdot \left( \array{1&0\\0&1\\0&0\\0&0}\right)=\left(\array{0&0\\1&0} \right)$$

My question are:

1.what its mean by d in this formula? How can I get this d?

2.How he get the first 2X4 matrix? I already calculate but I just get first row only. How it compute from the formula exactly?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more information from where you took this example as it seems a little out of context.

From what I see the i stands for the identity matrix, and id for the 0 matrix, the O with the cross stands for tensor product, and take into account that < | and | > come from bra - ket notation of vectors and covectors.

This appears to be a formula for the trace of a matrix L_{AB} which I have no idea from where comes.

1. How do you perform a partial trace on a matrix?

To perform a partial trace on a matrix, you first need to identify the subsystems that you want to trace out. Then, you take the trace of the elements that correspond to those subsystems, while keeping the elements that correspond to the remaining subsystems.

2. What is the mathematical formula for partial trace?

The mathematical formula for partial trace involves taking the trace of the elements that correspond to the subsystems you want to trace out, while keeping the remaining elements. This can be expressed as TrAAB) = ρB, where TrA denotes taking the trace over subsystem A and ρAB is the density matrix of the joint system AB.

3. Can you give an example of performing a partial trace on a matrix?

Sure, let's say we have a 2x2 matrix representing a joint system AB, where A is a qubit and B is a qutrit. To perform a partial trace over subsystem A, we would take the trace of the elements in the first row and first column, while keeping the elements in the second row and second column. The resulting matrix would be a 3x3 matrix representing the reduced density matrix of subsystem B.

4. What is the purpose of performing a partial trace on a matrix?

The purpose of performing a partial trace on a matrix is to obtain the reduced density matrix of a subsystem. This can be useful in quantum information theory, where we may only be interested in the state of a particular subsystem rather than the entire joint system.

5. Are there any special properties of partial trace?

Yes, there are a few special properties of partial trace. One is that it is a linear operation, meaning it can be applied to a sum of matrices by taking the sum of the individual partial traces. Another property is that it is invariant under unitary transformations, meaning the partial trace of a unitarily transformed matrix is the same as the partial trace of the original matrix. Finally, it is also monotonic, meaning that the partial trace of a system always contains less information than the original system.