Calculating Young Modulus to GPa

• Thread starter saray1360
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with converting the calculated young modulus from eV/(angstrom^3) to GPa in SI units. They need to convert the energy from eV to joules before finding the conversion factor to GPa.
saray1360
Hi,

I have calculated the young modulus of a system by calculating the second derivate of the energy against the axial strain and then I devided the result on the volum.

The unit of the energy is eV and the volume is in angstrom^3. I want to calculate the young modulus in GPa, should I consider a coefficient? how could I get to GPa out of [eV/(angS^3)] ?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
convert to SI

Hi saray1360! :smile:

Pa is an SI unit, so you need to convert everything else to SI units first.

angstrom is easy :biggrin: … but eV is totally non-SI, so you'll need to find the factor to convert it to joules. :wink:

Thank you for your question. The young modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Gigapascals (GPa). In order to convert your calculated value from eV/(angstrom^3) to GPa, you will need to use a conversion factor. The conversion factor for eV to Pa is 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J, and 1 angstrom = 10^-10 m. Therefore, the conversion factor from eV/(angstrom^3) to GPa would be 1.602 x 10^-19 J/(10^-10 m)^3 = 1.602 x 10^-3 GPa. This means that you can simply multiply your calculated value by 1.602 x 10^-3 to obtain the young modulus in GPa. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is Young's Modulus in GPa and why is it important?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation when subjected to an external force. It is expressed in units of GPa (gigapascals) and is an important property for engineers and scientists to understand when designing and analyzing materials for various applications.

How do you calculate Young's Modulus in GPa?

The formula for calculating Young's Modulus is E = σ / ε, where E is the modulus of elasticity, σ is the stress applied to the material, and ε is the resulting strain. The resulting value will be in units of GPa.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating Young's Modulus in GPa?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating Young's Modulus, including the material's temperature, the rate of loading, and the presence of defects or imperfections in the material's structure. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

What is a typical range of Young's Modulus values in GPa for common materials?

The range of Young's Modulus values can vary greatly depending on the type of material, its composition, and its processing. However, some common materials and their approximate Young's Modulus values in GPa are: steel (200-220), aluminum (70-80), concrete (30-40), and rubber (0.01-0.1).

How can Young's Modulus in GPa be used in real-world applications?

Young's Modulus is an important material property that is used in a variety of real-world applications. It can be used to determine the strength and stiffness of materials, predict how they will behave under different loads, and help engineers select the most suitable materials for specific applications. It is also used in structural design, material testing, and quality control processes.