How to handle equipment moving as professor/advisor?

• Thread starter random_soldier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, the conversation discusses the logistics of moving equipment from one lab to another and the potential options for handling the move. Option A is to use the university's riggers, while option B is to do it oneself. The speaker also mentions the importance of properly packing items and considering the mode of transportation. They also bring up the idea of sharing stories and maintaining the legacy of the lab community during moves.
random_soldier
So our group advisor had to move our equipment from one lab to another since the department was moving to another building. Our advisor and us pitched in using uhaul to bring it where it was needed.

I MAY choose academia in the future and personally, I would not want my students to have to handle the move themselves. Is there any alternative way to handle it? Is there a good reason to do it the way formerly described, anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two options. Option A is to spend the money for your university's riggers. Often you get this:

Option B is to do it yourself.

• Haha
Likes Bystander, dlgoff and random_soldier
I've traveled the world a fair bit. I can't say that is the case everywhere. Wonder why some have that mentality.

It depends how far the trip is.

It also depends on how things have to be packed.
There are many cases where no one else will know how to do it.
Special, large, complex instruments and equipment, animals, cultures, chemicals, frozen materials.

If things are well packed they can be treated like fragile crates.
My sister packs displays for the Smithsonian. They make crates with an item secured and shock absorbed inside.

I think that, as well as considering the quality of the payload, you have to pack meet to the requirements of the mode of transportation you are using.

Likes random_soldier and Klystron
random_soldier said:
Is there a good reason to do it the way formerly described, anyway?
To dig up all the secret stashes of the 'it'll came handy someday' stuff and share all the relevant story behind is a great way to maintain the legacy and the spirit of the lab community (I mean, if it is not just a place).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes random_soldier
That's actually quite true. Happens often whenever our lab group is moving stuff.

1. How do I ensure the safe transportation of my equipment during a move?

It is important to properly pack and secure your equipment before moving. This may include using packing materials such as bubble wrap or foam to protect fragile items, and using sturdy boxes or crates to transport larger items. Make sure to also label all boxes and crates with the contents and any handling instructions.

2. What should I do if my equipment is too large or fragile to be moved?

In some cases, it may be necessary to hire a professional moving company that specializes in moving delicate or oversized equipment. They will have the expertise and necessary equipment to safely transport your items.

3. How can I keep track of all my equipment during the move?

Creating an inventory list of all your equipment and its corresponding boxes/crates can help you keep track of everything during the move. You can also take photos of the equipment before it is packed to have visual documentation of its condition.

4. What precautions should I take during the move to prevent damage to my equipment?

In addition to properly packing and securing your equipment, it is important to handle it with care during the move. This may include using hand trucks or dollies to move heavy items, and avoiding any rough or bumpy roads that could jostle the equipment. It is also a good idea to have insurance coverage for your equipment in case of any unforeseen accidents or damages.

5. When is the best time to schedule a move for my equipment?

The best time to schedule a move for your equipment is when it will have the least impact on your research or work. This may mean coordinating with your lab members or colleagues to find a time that works for everyone. It is also important to consider any deadlines or experiments that may be affected by the move and plan accordingly.