How to linearise translated and dilated surd functions?

• Thread starter Stanley_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: If f(x) and g(y) have a linear relationship, what do you expect to see if you plot a graph of g(y) against f(x)?A straight line.But i am rather looking to do something like this;Kepler's third law for example, it can be graphed as shown in the picture.I want to do something like that to form a linear relationship rather than graphing the functions themselves if you get what i mean.A straight line.
Stanley_physics
So, in Physics, we were to learning about linearising data of a practical. We know that if the graph of the data of a practical or experiments represents a surd function (y=x^0.5), then it can be linearised by graphing y^2 against x. Therefore, y^2 would be directly proportional to x. However, if you have a translated and dilated surd, would this still be possible. For example, in the equation y = 4 + 9(23+7x)^0.5, is y^2 still directly proportional to x? If not, what would be proportional in this case, and how would i graph it to get a perfectly linear line? This is a difficult concept for me to grasp. Help would be veryy appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stanley_physics said:
in the equation y = 4 + 9(23+7x)^0.5, is y^2 still directly proportional to x?
That is easy to check. You have an expression for y. What does that give for y2?
How can you rearrange the equation so that when you square both sides the square root terms disappear?

Yeah but when i try to expand after squaring both sides, i get a two x values. For example, continuing from the example i gave above, if i square both sides, i get y^2 =567x + 1879 +72(√7x+23).
I don't know how to work with that.
Also, when i square after rearranging, i get:
162x = y^2 -8y -1867.
Don't know how i can use that to linearise my graph either.

Last edited:
Stanley_physics said:
if i square both sides, i get y^2 =567x + 1879 +72(√7x+23).
Right, so y2 doesn't do it.
Stanley_physics said:
when i square after rearranging, i get:
162x = y^2 -8y -167.
You expanded too much. Look at the steps you took to get that. If you can't spot the line that does it, please post all your steps.

Couldn't find it.

y = 4 + 9(23+2x)^0.5
y-4 = 9(23+2x)^0.5
(y-4)^2 = (9(23+2x)^0.5)^2
y^2 - 8y +16 = 1863 +162x
y^2 -8y - 1867 = 162x

Stanley_physics said:
Couldn't find it.

y = 4 + 9(23+2x)^0.5
y-4 = 9(23+2x)^0.5
(y-4)^2 = (9(23+2x)^0.5)^2
y^2 - 8y +16 = 1863 +162x
y^2 -8y - 1867 = 162x
Take a closer look at your third line. It's nearly there. The fourth has overshot.

(y-4)^2 / 81 = 23 + 7x.
Got it.
But the problem is, how can i graph this to create a linear relationship. Thats what i am stuck on.

Stanley_physics said:
(y-4)^2 / 81 = 23 + 7x.
Got it.
But the problem is, how can i graph this to create a linear relationship. Thats what i am stuck on.
To linearise a relationship for graphing, you just need to find two functions, f(x), g(y), such that g(y) and f(x) have a linear relationship. Then you plot ... what do you think?

Sorry, i did not understand that. How does that work?

Stanley_physics said:
Sorry, i did not understand that. How does that work?
If f(x) and g(y) have a linear relationship, what do you expect to see if you plot a graph of g(y) against f(x)?

A straight line.
But i am rather looking to do something like this;
Kepler's third law for example, it can be graphed as shown in the picture.
I want to do something like that to form a linear relationship rather than graphing the functions themselves if you get what i mean.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.10.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.10.27 pm.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 479
Stanley_physics said:
A straight line.
Right.
Stanley_physics said:
But i am rather looking to do something like this
Yes, I believe I understand what you are trying to do.
Look at your post #9. You have a function of y on the left and a function of x on the right, and a linear relationship between them.
But in that equation, there are no unknown constants. More generally, you do have unknown constants that you are trying to determine by graphing. Clearly it is no use choosing the f and g functions in such a way that they contain unknown constants, because in that case you would not be able to plot the values of f(x) and g(y).
In your post #9 equation, this presents no difficulty if any of the 81, the 23 or the 7 is really an unknown, but it would be a problem if the 4 is unknown.

Related to How to linearise translated and dilated surd functions?

1. How do I linearise a translated surd function?

To linearise a translated surd function, you need to first rewrite the function in the form of y = √(ax + b). Then, you can use the substitution method to replace x with a new variable, such as u, and solve for u. This will give you a linear function in terms of u. Finally, you can substitute back in x to get a linear function in terms of x.

2. Can I linearise a dilated surd function?

Yes, you can linearise a dilated surd function in a similar way to a translated surd function. Rewrite the function in the form of y = √(ax + b), substitute in a new variable such as u, solve for u, and then substitute back in x to get a linear function in terms of x.

3. What is the purpose of linearising a surd function?

The purpose of linearising a surd function is to make it easier to analyze and manipulate the function. Linear functions are easier to graph, differentiate, and integrate compared to surd functions. Linearising a surd function can also help to identify key features of the function, such as the slope and y-intercept.

4. Are there any limitations to linearising surd functions?

Yes, there are limitations to linearising surd functions. Linearising a surd function can only be done for certain types of surd functions, such as translated and dilated functions. Additionally, linearising a surd function may result in a loss of accuracy or precision, as the linear function is an approximation of the original surd function.

5. Can I use linearisation to solve surd equations?

Linearisation can be a useful technique for solving surd equations, but it is not always possible. In some cases, linearising a surd function may result in a complex or irrational solution, which may not be practical in the context of the original problem. It is important to consider the limitations and potential inaccuracies of linearisation when using it to solve surd equations.