How to Rotate a Vector in Different Coordinate Spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the values r', theta', and phi' for a vector in a rotated coordinate space, with suggestions to use Euler angles or quaternions for this task.
ronslow
I have a vector v(r, theta, phi) in one coordinate space.

I need to calculate the values r', theta' and phi' for the same vector in another coordinate space which is rotated by alpha, beta and gamma about the x, y and z axis respectively
Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Robert! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a beta: β and a gamma: γ and a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)
ronslow said:
I have a vector v(r, theta, phi) in one coordinate space.

I need to calculate the values r', theta' and phi' for the same vector in another coordinate space which is rotated by alpha, beta and gamma about the x, y and z axis respectively
Is there an easy way to do this?

Not that I know of … except that r =r' :redface:

(you could try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles)

Euler angles is probably the standard way to do this (I know it's how I was taught) but they're a bit of a pain to do. I recommend switching to a subject that doesn't rotate vectors

1. What is rotation of spherical vectors?

Rotation of spherical vectors refers to the process of changing the orientation of a vector in a three-dimensional space. It involves rotating the vector around a fixed point or axis, resulting in a change in its direction and magnitude.

2. How is rotation of spherical vectors different from rotation of planar vectors?

Rotation of spherical vectors is different from rotation of planar vectors because it takes place in three-dimensional space, whereas rotation of planar vectors occurs in a two-dimensional space. Additionally, rotation of spherical vectors involves more complex calculations and transformations, as it takes into account the curvature of the sphere.

3. What are the mathematical concepts involved in rotation of spherical vectors?

Rotation of spherical vectors involves concepts such as trigonometry, geometry, and linear algebra. It also utilizes coordinate systems, such as polar and spherical coordinates, to represent the vectors and their rotations.

4. What are some practical applications of rotation of spherical vectors?

Rotation of spherical vectors has various practical applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It is used to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects, calculate the orientation of objects in space, and simulate movements of physical systems.

5. How is the direction of rotation determined in spherical vectors?

The direction of rotation in spherical vectors is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of rotation, then the thumb will point in the direction of the rotated vector. This rule applies to both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations.