How to solve a problem like this

• Thread starter gallimaufry
  • Start date
In summary, the problem being discussed is how to solve for the unknown mass of a box on the left side of a balance, given the mass of an object on the right side, the angle of the unbalanced balance, and the distances of the objects from the fulcrum. The solution involves using torque or moment, with the key concept being that in equilibrium, the moments on each side must be equal.
gallimaufry
How would you solve a problem like this. I am assuming its torque. You have to find the mass of the box on the left. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 326
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it is a continuation, but i just wanted to draw out the problem. I am trying to solve for the unknown mass which is placed on one side of the balance. The things i know are the mass of the object on the other side, the angle the unbalanced balance is at, the distances the objects are from the fulcrum. If I posted incorrectly, forgive me it is my first time, and i will get better. Thanks for all the help

gallimaufry said:
How would you solve a problem like this. I am assuming its torque. You have to find the mass of the box on the left. Thanks for the help.

Hi gallimaufry! :smile:

Yes, it's torque (or moment) …

in equilibrium, the moment on each side must be the same

(but the angle makes no difference … the only reason why you have to get the scale arm horizontal when you're weighing is because you must use the same fulcrum point each time, and the fulcrum isn't a perfect point)

Related to How to solve a problem like this

1. How do I identify the problem?

In order to solve a problem, you first need to identify what the problem is. Ask yourself questions about the issue at hand and gather all the necessary information.

2. What are the possible solutions?

Make a list of all the possible solutions that come to mind. Consider different approaches and weigh the pros and cons of each option.

3. How do I choose the best solution?

Once you have a list of potential solutions, evaluate each one based on factors such as feasibility, effectiveness, and potential consequences. Choose the solution that you believe will be the most successful.

4. How do I implement the chosen solution?

Create a plan of action to implement the chosen solution. This may involve breaking down the solution into smaller steps, gathering necessary resources, and setting a timeline for completion.

5. What if my chosen solution doesn't work?

If your solution does not work, don't get discouraged. Go back to your list of possible solutions and try a different approach. Keep an open mind and be willing to adapt as needed until you find a successful solution.