How to solve a problem with a bar laying against a wall

• Thread starter Jay9313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: Without rounding, that brought my answer down to 61.8 degrees. I can try to re=work it without replacing any values with numerical values if you'd likeI added a new photo of my work and I tried to clean it up and show more thought progressions. I left more of the symbols in and didn't change them to numeric values, but only got so far. If anyone has a solution, please feel free to show me how to get there.In summary, Chet got his answer to the problem using 2 force balances and a moment balance.
Jay9313
Ok, so I have completely *solved* this problem. What I mean is that I have attached the problem in a photo, and my work in a separate photo. My first answer was 62.2° and I did not round at all, I left all of the answers in my calculator. I rounded some on the second time through and got my answer down to 60.4°. My professor is adamant that the answer is 59.9° and I'm kind of a little freaked out. Could someone take a look at this and let me know if there is another way to do this? Because I had to use the law of sines and cosines and it seems like a rather challenging

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 401
  • Scan3.jpg
    Scan3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the third line (Ff1=FN come from?

Why do you use 0.235 in line 4? The problem statement uses 0.25.

What does your third sketch represent and why do you have the same angle theta there?

It would be easier to follow the formulas if you did not replace µ and the sin/cos values by numerical values.

mfb said:
Where does the third line (Ff1=FN come from?

Why do you use 0.235 in line 4? The problem statement uses 0.25.

What does your third sketch represent and why do you have the same angle theta there?

It would be easier to follow the formulas if you did not replace µ and the sin/cos values by numerical values.

I completely agree. I was really against putting numerical values in, but If I had not done that, I would have really long expressions that would clutter up my work. The .235 in line 4 is .235mg, where mg is the weight. And I did mess up the third line (Ff1=FN Let me re-work that line really quickly and see if I get a closer answer! If this line solves my problem, I'll be really upset.

Without rounding, that brought my answer down to 61.8 degrees. I can try to re=work it without replacing any values with numerical values if you'd like

I added a new photo of my work and I tried to clean it up and show more thought progressions. I left more of the symbols in and didn't change them to numeric values, but only got so far. If anyone has a solution, please feel free to show me how to get there.

I got 61.8 degrees also using 2 force balances and a moment balance. My final equation was tanθ=2 - 0.5 tan 15. I think I did it correctly. I plugged in numbers only at the very end.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I got 61.8 degrees also using 2 force balances and a moment balance. My final equation was tanθ=2 - 0.5 tan 15. I think I did it correctly. I plugged in numbers only at the very end.

Chet

Thank you so much! Could I trouble you to show me your work using the moment balance? I would be very grateful!

Jay9313 said:
Thank you so much! Could I trouble you to show me your work using the moment balance? I would be very grateful!
Let NA be the normal force exerted by the wall at point A, and let NB be the normal force exerted by the wall at point B. Let F be the frictional force at point B.

Horizontal Force Balance: [itex]N_A\cos{15}=F[/itex]
Vertical Force Balance: [itex]N_A\sin{15}+N_B=mg[/itex]
Moment Balance Around Point A: [itex]mg\frac{L}{2}\cosθ-N_BL\cosθ+FL\sinθ=0[/itex]
where L is the length of the bar.

Solution to these equations:
[tex]F=\frac{\frac{mg}{2}}{\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]
[tex]N_B=\frac{mg\tanθ+\frac{mg}{2}\tan15}{\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]
So,
[tex]\frac{F}{N_B}=\frac{1}{2\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Let NA be the normal force exerted by the wall at point A, and let NB be the normal force exerted by the wall at point B. Let F be the frictional force at point B.

Horizontal Force Balance: [itex]N_A\cos{15}=F[/itex]
Vertical Force Balance: [itex]N_A\sin{15}+N_B=mg[/itex]
Moment Balance Around Point A: [itex]mg\frac{L}{2}\cosθ-N_BL\cosθ+FL\sinθ=0[/itex]
where L is the length of the bar.

Solution to these equations:
[tex]F=\frac{\frac{mg}{2}}{\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]
[tex]N_B=\frac{mg\tanθ+\frac{mg}{2}\tan15}{\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]
So,
[tex]\frac{F}{N_B}=\frac{1}{2\tanθ+\tan15}[/tex]

I actually considered using a moment approach such as yourself, but I didn't want to introduce a new variable, as I already had quite a few unknowns. But thank you so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

1. How do I determine the weight of the bar?

The weight of the bar can be determined using a scale or by calculating the density and dimensions of the bar. You can also consult the manufacturer's specifications for the weight of the bar.

2. How do I prevent the bar from slipping?

To prevent the bar from slipping, you can use friction by placing a rubber mat or grip between the bar and the wall. You can also use adhesive materials to secure the bar in place.

3. What is the best angle to position the bar?

The best angle to position the bar would be perpendicular to the wall, as this would distribute the weight evenly and provide better stability. However, the specific angle may vary depending on the length and weight of the bar.

4. How do I know if the bar is securely in place?

You can use a level or a ruler to check if the bar is straight and properly positioned against the wall. Additionally, you can test the stability by gently pushing or pulling on the bar to see if it moves or shifts.

5. Is there a weight limit for the bar?

The weight limit for the bar will depend on its material, dimensions, and the strength of the wall it is leaning against. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and use caution when placing heavy objects on the bar.