How to Solve Energy & Work Problems?

In summary: So you have to find the area of the two rectangles that make up the shaded region and add them together. In summary, the conversation discusses solving two problems involving conveyor belts and springs. For the first problem, the power of the conveyor belt is determined by calculating the force per bundle and the total work, while the second problem involves finding the work needed to stretch a spring using the graph shown. The correct approach for both problems is discussed.
dagitt

Homework Statement

1. A 10.5 m long conveyor belt, inclined at 30.0°, is used to transport bundles of newspapers from the mailroom up to the cargo bay to be loaded on to delivery trucks. Each newspaper has a mass of 1.0 kg, and there are 28 newspapers per bundle. Determine the power that the conveyor develops if it delivers 15 bundles per minute.

2. Use the graph in the diagram
2ilhhyx.jpg

to find the work needed to stretch the spring from 0.14 m to 0.26 m.

any or all help appreciated...THANKS SO MUCH <33

Homework Equations

For both 1 & 2...
basic trig, W=F*d, P = change in W / Change in T, KE = .5mv^2, PE = mgh (but I'm confused if I even need KE or PE to solve these...?)

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1, I drew out the ramp and all the force components. I determined the force per bundle to be 137.2 N per bundle, and the total Work to be 1440.6...I multiplied this by 15, to get the answer, but it wasn't correct...I'm just so confused as to how to approach this.

2. I added the change in force at those two points, and multiplied it by distance traveled which is .26 - .14 m. Got this wrong too...

any or all help appreciated. i suck at physics. thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, are the units in your final answer correct? I assume they want it in Watts (J/s)

For #2, I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. What do you mean by "change in force at those two points"?

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1, I drew out the ramp and all the force components. I determined the force per bundle to be 137.2 N per bundle, and the total Work to be 1440.6...I multiplied this by 15, to get the answer, but it wasn't correct...I'm just so confused as to how to approach this.

This looks right to me.
2. I added the change in force at those two points, and multiplied it by distance traveled which is .26 - .14 m. Got this wrong too...

Work done is just the area under the graph, since W=Fd for constant F and d, and the graph can be broken down into an infinite number of infinitely thin rectangular tiles each with constant F and d.

1. What is the difference between energy and work?

Energy is the ability to do work, while work is the application of a force over a distance. Energy can be transformed into different forms, such as mechanical, thermal, or electrical, while work is specifically the transfer of energy from one object to another.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy and work?

The unit of measurement for energy is joules (J), while the unit for work is also joules (J). This is because work is a form of energy.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is power related to energy and work?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is calculated by dividing work by time. The unit of measurement for power is watts (W), which is equal to one joule per second (J/s).