How to Solve for atan when an object turns 60 degrees

• Thread starter TamuNinja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the conversation discussed a flywheel with a radius of 0.200 that starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 0.900 m/s2. The question was then posed to compute the magnitude of the tangential acceleration of a point on its rim after it has turned through 60.0?. The solution was found to be atan = 0.180 m/s2 by using the formula atan = α * radius.
TamuNinja
Homework Statement

A flywheel with a radius of 0.200 starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 0.900 .

atan= .180 m/s2 when its at rest
arad= 0m/s2 when at rest
compute magnitude of resultant acceleration at the start a= .180 m/s2

I got all of these already now the question is

Compute the magnitude of the tangential acceleration of a point on its rim after it has turned through 60.0?

atan= ? m/s2

The attempt at a solution

I do not know how to answer this. I honeslty don't know where to start.

I know atan= [itex]\alpha[/itex]*radius but i don't know what to do now that the flywheel is turning 60

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it.

Turned out that i didnt need to worry about how far it moved so it was just Alpha*radius

Giving me atan=.180m/s^2

Related to How to Solve for atan when an object turns 60 degrees

1. How do I solve for atan when an object turns 60 degrees?

To solve for atan when an object turns 60 degrees, you can use the inverse tangent function on a scientific calculator. Simply input the value of 60 degrees and press the inverse tangent button (usually labeled "tan-1" or "atan"). This will give you the value of atan for 60 degrees, which is approximately 1.047 radians.

2. What is atan and why is it used in solving for angles?

atan (also written as tan-1) is the inverse tangent function, which is the opposite of the tangent function. It is used in solving for angles because it allows us to determine the angle of a right triangle when we know the lengths of its sides. In other words, it helps us find an unknown angle in a right triangle.

3. Can I use the atan function in degrees or radians?

The atan function can be used in both degrees and radians. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct unit before using the function. If your calculator is set to degrees, the output of atan will be in degrees. If your calculator is set to radians, the output of atan will be in radians.

4. How do I convert the output of atan from radians to degrees?

To convert the output of atan from radians to degrees, you can use the formula degrees = radians * (180/π). So for example, if your calculator gives you an output of 1.047 radians for atan, you can multiply it by (180/π) to get the equivalent value in degrees, which is approximately 60 degrees.

5. Is there a specific method to solve for atan or is it just a simple calculation?

There is no specific method to solve for atan, it is a relatively simple calculation that can be done using a scientific calculator. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct unit and that you understand the concept of inverse trigonometric functions to properly use the atan function.