How to Solve this Tough Integration Question with LaTex Commands?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific integral using substitution and contour integration. The steps involve making a substitution and manipulating the integral to end up with two separate integrals. The final answer is found to be 8π/3.
trap
Anyone know how to solve this?
[tex]\text 8\pi\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t^3}{(4+t^2)^\frac{5}{2}} dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, make the following substitution:

[tex]u = 4 + t^2[/itex]

yeah, i tried that, but i can't go further coz i can't get rid of the t^3

No need to get rid of it. Take it further. I believe you'll end up with 2 integrals in fractional powers of u.

Last edited:
can you help me with one more step? i really can't make two integrals with power of u..

ok, i got it now, thanks for the help

HINT:

[tex] \sqrt{4+t^{2}}=u [/tex]

[tex] t \ dt= u \ du [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{3}+4t-4t}{\left(\sqrt{t^{2}+4}\right)^{5}} \ dt =\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t^{2}+4}{\left(\sqrt{t^{2}+4}\right)^{5}}t \ dt - 4\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{t \ dt}{\left(\sqrt{t^{2}+4}\right)^{5}} [/tex]

Daniel.

can't it be done by contour integration?

Let t^2=x-4 -> 2tdt=dx and 0<=t<=infinity -> 4<=x<=infinity

so the integral becomes 4*Pi*Int((x-4)*x^(-5/2),x=4..infinity) = 8*Pi/3

excuse my maple notation, I have yet to learn LaTeX.

Nice. Here we go: (just do a click on the equation and a pop-up window will display the LaTex commands)

[tex]
\begin{align*}
8\pi\int_0^{\infty}\frac{t^3}{(4+t^2)^{5/2}}dt &=
\frac{8\pi}{2}\int_4^{\infty}\frac{x-4}{x^{5/2}}dx \\ &=
4\pi\int_4^{\infty}x^{-5/2}(x-4)dx \\ &=
4\pi\int_4^{\infty}(x^{-3/2}-4x^{-5/2})dx \\ &=
4\pi\left(8/3x^{-5/2}-2x^{-1/2}\right)_4^{\infty} \\ &=
4\pi\left(-(1/3-1)\right) \\ &=
\frac{8\pi}{3}
\end{align}
[/tex]

1. What is "tough integration"?

"Tough integration" refers to the challenge of combining different systems, technologies, or processes together to create a cohesive and functional whole. It often requires problem-solving skills, technical expertise, and a deep understanding of the systems being integrated.

2. Why is "tough integration" important?

Tough integration is important because it allows different systems or technologies to work together seamlessly, increasing efficiency and productivity. It also enables organizations to leverage the strengths of each system, leading to better overall performance. Additionally, as technology continues to advance, the need for tough integration will only increase.

3. What are the common challenges of "tough integration"?

Some common challenges of tough integration include compatibility issues between systems, data migration, lack of standardized processes, and differing user interfaces. It may also require significant time, resources, and expertise to successfully integrate systems.

4. How can "tough integration" be approached?

Tough integration can be approached by first identifying the systems that need to be integrated, understanding their capabilities and limitations, and creating a plan for how they will work together. It is important to involve all stakeholders and to thoroughly test the integration before fully implementing it.

5. What skills are needed for "tough integration"?

Tough integration requires a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills. A scientist with knowledge in computer science, data analysis, and project management may be well-suited for tough integration tasks. Additionally, adaptability and patience are important qualities to have when facing challenges in the integration process.