Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to specify an electric alternator...

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1
    how we can specify an alternator (which converts rotational energy into electricity) .
    how we can calculate the charge given out by alternator in its one revolution .

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most generators are efficient, so the easiest approximate calculation is electric power out = mechanical power in.

Charge is not power. Electric power is measured in watts and calculated from voltage times current. Mechanical power is calculated from torque times speed.

4. Aug 5, 2016 #3
    If we gives the supply of alternator ( which should fitted in a bike) to a heating coil ,then is it possible to produce 250 joule of heat in 4 revolution of alternator

5. Aug 5, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One watt of power is one joule per second. So if your bike pedal rotates once per second, 4 seconds in 4 revolutions, then 250 joules/4 seconds is 62.5 watts. Yes that is possible. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

But the alternator is probably connected to the bicycle by a belt or chain so that the alternator makes several revolutions per one bike pedal revolution.

6. Aug 8, 2016 #5
    Thanks Sir for reply , I have one another question ,if i use 24 volt 45 ampere alternator then what will be the resistance should the heating coil be provided with , so that it should produce 250 joule of heat in four revolution of alternator, please show me the calculations also sir.

7. Aug 8, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

62.5 watts / 24 volts = 2.6 amps.

24 volts / 2.6 amps = 9.2 Ohms resistance

But I suspect that my answers are not helpful because you asked the wrong questions. Please tell us what you are trying to accomplish. We will try to help. For example, why 250 joules in 4 revolutions?

8. Aug 9, 2016 #7
    Sir, i want to supply 250 joule of heat to the air (at constant volume) by electric means, in maximum 4 revolution of an alternator.This is the part of my project about which i m just thinking

9. Aug 9, 2016 #8
    Sir,why did you say "my answers are not helpful for you" and what is the meaning of "45 ampere " in alternator specification(in my question)?

10. Aug 9, 2016 #9

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

45 amperes is the maximum current the alternator can supply. You don't need that much.

250 joules in 4 revolutions is a strange requirement. Most people need either
    1. specific energy (a joule is a measure of energy) to do something like charge a battery. The number of revolutions is not relevant.
    2. Or a specific power (measured in joules per second) to do something like supply a light. Pedaling continues as long as power is needed.
    Can you explain why 250 joules in 4 revolutions is your requirement?

11. Aug 10, 2016 #10
    sir,i m trying to prepare an engine that will run on air only..

12. Aug 10, 2016 #11
    sir, Is there an effect of time of completion of one revolution on heat energy produced in one revolution.Example ,Is the one revoluiton taking place in 4 sec will give the same heat energy that is provided in one revolution which is taking place in half ( .5 ) second ?

13. Aug 10, 2016 #12

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Compressed air? Tell us more about this engine.

14. Aug 11, 2016 #13
    Sir read the patents of guy negre on compressed air engine

15. Aug 11, 2016 #14
    I m using guy negre's concept

16. Aug 11, 2016 #15
    Please answer my question ,anorlunda sir

17. Aug 11, 2016 #16

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need only a small fraction of the rated output. Minimum speed for many alternators is about 1000 RPM. So, yes there is a time effect, one revolution should be completed in less than 0.06 seconds.

Once again, your requirements and your numbers sound unusual and far from reality. The quality of the answers we are able to give you are proportional to the information you are willing to share with us.

Below is a sample alternator performance curve. Note that the key input parameter is not revolutions but revolutions per second, and the key output parameter is not joules but joules per second (watts=joules per second=volts*amps).

image023.jpg

18. Aug 11, 2016 #17
    Thnx sir for helping me to understand alternators

19. Aug 12, 2016 #18
    sir, the project i m thinking is an engine that works on air only .in this engine the air is sucked in the down stroke of the piston ,the air is compressod in the later stroke (air becomes at high pressure),now this pressurised air is supplied to a pre chamber ,the pre chamber will then fully closed , the heat is supplied to the air at the constant volume in the pre chamber ,thus the air is further pressurised upto desired pressure,then this high pressurised air will then supplied to the main engine which give us the rotaional power which is used to rotate the tyres of the vehicle ,Now the power of an engine is also supplied to an alternator whose power is supplied to heating element which is fitted in pre chamber to heat the air ,the gear ratio b\w engine and the alternator is set such that in one revolution of engine there are four revolutions of alternator. I required the heat upto 250 joules in the pre chamber in one revolution of engine (or in four revolution of an alternator).Sir this is the thing i want to do........so sir just help me that ,how can i produce this 250 joules of heat (in four revolution of an pertucular aternator)

20. Aug 12, 2016 #19
    sir, in graphs that you send what is the meaning of 12volt

21. Aug 12, 2016 #20

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh dear, I'm afraid that your project resembles "perpetual motion or free energy ideas", because it would violate the second law of thermodynamics. Those topics are forbidden here on Physics Forums, and the mentors may close this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook