How would I integrate this?

• Thread starter adelaide87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, to integrate cot^a(x) csc^b(x) dx, where a and b are odd, you would first rewrite the expression using the identity cot^2(x) + 1 = csc^2(x), and then use a substitution to evaluate the integral.
adelaide87
Describe the method you would use to integrate

cot^a(x) csc^b(x) dx

If a and b are odd?

An explanation of the strategy would be a huge help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would definitely try to put everything into terms of sin and cos.

cot^a(x) = Cos^a(x) / sin^a(x)

csc^b(x) = 1/sin^b(x)

this is where i would start. from there, you can sum the powers of the sin's in the denominators and try u substitution or something.

adelaide87 said:
Describe the method you would use to integrate

cot^a(x) csc^b(x) dx

If a and b are odd?

An explanation of the strategy would be a huge help!
Take out one factor each of csc x and cot x, leaving you with
[tex]\int cot^{a-1}(x)csc^{b - 1}(x)~csc(x)cot(x)dx[/tex]

Use the identity cot2(x) + 1 = csc2(x) (or equivalently, cot2(x) = csc2(x) - 1) to replace the cota - 1 factor.

At that point you'll have a sum of terms that involve various powers of csc2(x) and you can use an ordinary substitution, with u = csc(x).

1. How would I integrate this function?

Integrating a function involves finding the area under the curve of the function. This is typically done by using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to find the total value of a function over a given interval. This can be used to calculate quantities such as distance, volume, and area. Integration is also important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form of the function being integrated. It is helpful to first simplify the function and look for any patterns that can be identified. From there, you can determine which integration technique would be most appropriate.

4. Can integration be done numerically?

Yes, integration can be done numerically using methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the area under the curve by dividing it into smaller sections and using the values of the function at each point to calculate the total area.

5. How can I check if my integration is correct?

You can check your integration by taking the derivative of the result and comparing it to the original function. If the two are equal, then your integration is correct. Additionally, you can use online integration calculators or graphing software to verify your result.