How would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bpani
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bpani
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
how would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω??

Statement
-----------
how would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω??

equations
-----------
i guess the relevant equations would be nothing more than series & parallel resistance connections..


The attempt at a solution
-------------------------
I've tried all possible ways to connect them (only 4 diff ways I guess??). There is apparently a solution since its in my nephew's textbook.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


bpani said:
Statement
-----------
how would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω??

equations
-----------
i guess the relevant equations would be nothing more than series & parallel resistance connections..


The attempt at a solution
-------------------------
I've tried all possible ways to connect them (only 4 diff ways I guess??). There is apparently a solution since its in my nephew's textbook.

Hint -- you are going to have to cut the resistors in half with a fine saw...
 


I can do it with 4. Are you sure you read the problem correctly?