How would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω?

• Thread starter bpani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses how to connect three 9Ω resistors to get a total resistance of 12Ω. The equations for series and parallel resistance connections are mentioned, and the speaker attempts four different ways to connect the resistors. A potential solution is suggested involving cutting the resistors in half, but another person suggests a different method.
bpani
how would one connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω??

Statement
-----------

equations
-----------
i guess the relevant equations would be nothing more than series & parallel resistance connections..

The attempt at a solution
-------------------------
I've tried all possible ways to connect them (only 4 diff ways I guess??). There is apparently a solution since its in my nephew's textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org

bpani said:
Statement
-----------

equations
-----------
i guess the relevant equations would be nothing more than series & parallel resistance connections..

The attempt at a solution
-------------------------
I've tried all possible ways to connect them (only 4 diff ways I guess??). There is apparently a solution since its in my nephew's textbook.

Hint -- you are going to have to cut the resistors in half with a fine saw...

I can do it with 4. Are you sure you read the problem correctly?

But I like Berkeman's answer better.

But I can't seem to get it right. Please help!!

In order to connect three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω, you would need to connect them in a series-parallel combination. This can be achieved by connecting two of the resistors in series, and then connecting the third resistor in parallel to the combination of the first two resistors. This will result in a total resistance of 12Ω.

To further explain, let's label the resistors as R1, R2, and R3. First, connect R1 and R2 in series by connecting the positive terminal of R1 to the negative terminal of R2. The remaining positive terminal of R2 and negative terminal of R1 will then be connected to the circuit.

Next, connect R3 in parallel to the combination of R1 and R2. This can be achieved by connecting the positive terminal of R3 to the positive terminal of R1, and the negative terminal of R3 to the negative terminal of R2. The remaining positive terminal of R2 and negative terminal of R1 will then be connected to the circuit.

This configuration will result in a total resistance of 12Ω, as the resistors in series will add up to 18Ω, and then the parallel combination will reduce the overall resistance to 12Ω. This is known as a series-parallel circuit and is commonly used in electrical circuits to achieve specific resistance values.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance when connecting three 9Ω resistors to get 12Ω?

When connecting resistors in series, the total resistance is calculated by adding the individual resistances. In this case, the total resistance would be 9Ω + 9Ω + 9Ω = 27Ω. To get a 12Ω resistance, you would need to connect the resistors in a parallel circuit instead.

2. Can I use any combination of resistors to get a 12Ω resistance?

No, the total resistance will depend on the individual resistances and how they are connected. In order to get a 12Ω resistance, you would need to use three 4Ω resistors in series or two 24Ω resistors in parallel.

3. Can I use different types of resistors to connect and get a 12Ω resistance?

Yes, you can use different types of resistors as long as their individual resistances add up to 12Ω when connected in the desired configuration. For example, you can use two 6Ω resistors in series and one 12Ω resistor in parallel to get a total of 12Ω.

4. Is there a limit to the number of resistors I can connect to get a specific resistance?

There is no limit to the number of resistors you can connect, but the more resistors you add, the more complex your circuit will become. It is important to consider the power rating of the resistors and the maximum current that can flow through them to avoid damaging the circuit.

5. How can I measure the resistance of my circuit to ensure it is 12Ω?

You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of your circuit. Set the multimeter to the resistance measurement mode and connect the probes to the two ends of the circuit. The reading on the multimeter should be close to 12Ω if the circuit is functioning properly.