HV and LV difference on distribution boards

In summary: This is because they can provide a lot more power with a smaller wire size. The higher voltage also means that you don't need as much current to run the pump.
kdcoops
. Hello, I have recently been given a course at work as someone left and they had already paid for it, unfortunately I am a bit green to electrical systems ( I only work in stores but want to learn) And my course helper, our onsite electrical man is off on long term sick!
In my course I have been asked:

" Demonstrate a clear understanding on Ohms Law by showing why different voltages are used on certain distribution boards on site"

Now I have chosen to try and explain why we have two different cooling pumps on site. A large one with a motor at 3.3kv and a smaller one at 415v. Using Ohms Law I have worked out that the larger one which runs at 60amp is 198,000 watts and the small one at 228amps is 94,620watts.

What I am struggling with is, if we used a 415v instead of 3.3kv motor on the bigger pump would we need more amps meaning a lot bigger cables to get the power to run the big pump??

I understand it says on site you don't like to give direct answers and I don't expect that but would appreciate any help what so ever and if you could try and keep it pretty simple.

Kind Regards
kdcoops

Physics news on Phys.org
kdcoops said:
What I am struggling with is, if we used a 415v instead of 3.3kv motor on the bigger pump would we need more amps meaning a lot bigger cables to get the power to run the big pump??

What you said is correct. It seems as though you have a good handle on this problem!

if you really want to demonstrate knowledge of ohms law, I would calculate what the exact required current would be if the voltage dropped down to 415 V. then use some reference material too look up exactly what size wire you would need

Keep up the good work!

Hi donpacino,
Thanks for the reply, good to know I am on the right track. I have had a go a working out the current needed and came up with 477amps does this sound about right?? Hopefully it is, then I just need to try find out what cable size would be need to carry that.

Sorry scratch that last one, now I have had another go I have come up with 860amps! This seems a bit more likely to why we would use a higher voltage?
Thanks Kev

This is exactly why very high voltages are used for the national grid.

1. What is the difference between HV and LV on distribution boards?

HV stands for High Voltage and LV stands for Low Voltage. These refer to the amount of electrical energy being carried by the distribution board. HV typically carries higher voltage levels than LV, which carries lower voltage levels.

2. How do I know if a distribution board is HV or LV?

Distribution boards are usually labeled with their voltage level. HV distribution boards are typically labeled with red or orange markings, while LV distribution boards are labeled with black or blue markings.

3. What are the common uses for HV and LV distribution boards?

HV distribution boards are used for large industrial or commercial buildings, while LV distribution boards are used for smaller residential or commercial buildings. HV boards are also used for high power applications, while LV boards are used for lower power applications.

4. Can HV and LV distribution boards be used interchangeably?

No, HV and LV distribution boards cannot be used interchangeably. They are designed for different voltage levels and using the wrong type of board can result in electrical hazards or damage to equipment.

5. How can I ensure the safety of HV and LV distribution boards?

The safety of HV and LV distribution boards can be ensured by following proper installation and maintenance procedures, using appropriate personal protective equipment, and ensuring the boards are handled and operated by trained professionals.