Writing Net Ionic Equation for Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH Reaction

• Thread starter Selophane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the net ionic equation for Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH is Cu2+ + 2NH4+ + 2SO42- + 6H+ + 6OH- + Na+ + OH- → Cu(OH)2 + 2NH4+ + 2SO42- + Na+. The cations in this equation are Cu2+, NH4+, and Na+, while the anions are SO42-, OH-, and OH-. By breaking up the equation into cations and anions, it becomes easier to determine the products formed.
Selophane
I'm trying to figure out how to go about writing the net ionic equation for :

[tex]Cu(NH_{4})_{2}(SO_{4})_{2} x 6H_{2}O + NaOH [/tex]

incase that doesn't show, Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH... (thats a hydrate there)
I believe a precipitate is suppose to form, but i have no clue how to go about this one where it has 3 ions in it, Cu, NH4, and SO4... help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Selophane said:
I'm trying to figure out how to go about writing the net ionic equation for :

[tex]Cu(NH_{4})_{2}(SO_{4})_{2} x 6H_{2}O + NaOH [/tex]

incase that doesn't show, Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH... (thats a hydrate there)
I believe a precipitate is suppose to form, but i have no clue how to go about this one where it has 3 ions in it, Cu, NH4, and SO4... help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
What are the cations? What are the anions? Break the equation up into them, and you should see your answer.

hmm, ok, i think this is correct then?

Cu2+ 2NH4+ 2SO42- 6H+ 6OH- + Na+ OH-

not sure what ones form the products here tho...
thanks for the response!

What is the reaction between hydrate and NaOH?

The reaction between hydrate and NaOH is a chemical reaction that produces water and a salt. The hydrate, which is a compound with water molecules attached, reacts with NaOH, a strong base, to form water and a salt. The general equation for this reaction is: Hydrate + NaOH → Water + Salt.

What is the purpose of using NaOH in the reaction with hydrate?

NaOH, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a strong base that is commonly used in chemical reactions. In the reaction with hydrate, NaOH helps to break down the hydrate compound and release the water molecules. It also helps to neutralize any acidic components in the hydrate, resulting in a more stable and balanced product.

What are the products of the hydrate and NaOH reaction?

The products of the hydrate and NaOH reaction are water and a salt. The type of salt formed depends on the specific reactants used. For example, if the hydrate is calcium chloride and NaOH is used, the salt produced would be calcium hydroxide.

What are the main factors that affect the rate of the reaction between hydrate and NaOH?

There are several factors that can affect the rate of the reaction between hydrate and NaOH. These include the concentration of the reactants, the temperature of the reaction, the presence of a catalyst, and the surface area of the reactants. Generally, higher concentrations, higher temperatures, and the use of a catalyst can increase the rate of the reaction.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling NaOH in the reaction with hydrate?

NaOH is a corrosive substance and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. Therefore, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat when handling NaOH. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to be careful when measuring and mixing the NaOH solution. In case of skin or eye contact, immediately flush the affected area with water and seek medical attention.