Hydraulic motor torque for a home-built flight simulator

In summary, using hydraulic motors with a arm attached to the motor spindle for movement, it is necessary to know how much torque the motor will need to lift 1000 lbs and how fast the motor should be to move the weight 1 foot in 2 seconds.
kenneth roy
I am constructing a home built flight simulator and am using hydraulic motors with a arm attached to the motor spindle for movement. I need to know how much torque I would need in the motor to lift 1000 lbs. Also I need to know how fast the motor should be to move the weight 1 foot in 2 seconds. Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
...using hydraulic motors with a arm attached to the motor spindle for movement. I need to know how much torque I would need in the motor to lift 1000 lbs...

How long is the arm?

Also I need to know how fast the motor should be to move the weight 1 foot in 2 seconds.

Best answer I can give with the info provided is...

1 foot in 2 seconds = 6 inches per second.

the arm would be 2'

what I wanted to know when I asked about the arm moving, I wished to know how powerful a motor I would need to achieve this. ie: rpm, flow rate etc.

You have already defined the motor RPM by setting the time for the 2' arm to travel 6"/s.
The flow rate will depend on the motors swept volume.
You can get a lower limit for power from P=Fv (power =force*velocity). Actual Power required will depend on many other factors - required acceleration, motor efficiency, pipe friction, linkage & bearing friction etc etc.
If you provide a dimensioned sketch we may be able to offer further assistance.

sorry I am just a pilot. please elaborate on the acceleration, motor efficiency etc, as I just want someone to tell me what kind of motor I should purchase

thank you again in advance

I need to know what size and type of hydraulic motor will lift 1000lbs one foot in one second.

I propose to attach a lever to the motor spindle and attach the end of the lever to the object to be lifted

I need to know the rpm required for the motor, the flow rate in gallons per minute and the psi required to drive the motor to meet these specs

thank you in advance

I am no expert in hydraulic machinery, but lifting a heavy load with a lever attached to a motor does not seem a very good idea. Wouldn’t it be more straightforward to use a hydraulic cylinder instead?

billy joulebi am currently on holidays and awaymfrom the equipment but will answer you on mymreturn

1. What is a hydraulic motor torque?

A hydraulic motor torque is the measure of the twisting force produced by a hydraulic motor. In other words, it is the strength of the rotational force that the motor can generate.

2. Why is hydraulic motor torque important for a home-built flight simulator?

In a flight simulator, the hydraulic motor is responsible for providing the realistic motion and forces experienced by the pilot. Therefore, the torque generated by the motor is crucial in creating an immersive and accurate simulation.

3. How can I calculate the required hydraulic motor torque for my flight simulator?

The required torque for a flight simulator depends on various factors such as the weight and size of the simulator, the type of motion and forces desired, and the speed of movement. It is best to consult with a hydraulic engineer or use torque calculation software to accurately determine the required torque.

4. What are the common ways to increase hydraulic motor torque for a flight simulator?

One way to increase hydraulic motor torque is by increasing the pressure and flow rate of the hydraulic system. Another method is to use a larger motor with a higher torque rating. Additionally, optimizing the design and mechanics of the simulator can also help to increase the torque output.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using high torque hydraulic motors for a flight simulator?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using high torque hydraulic motors. It is important to ensure that the motor and hydraulic system are properly designed and maintained to prevent any malfunctions or accidents. It is also recommended to have safety measures in place, such as emergency shut-off switches, to minimize the risk of injury.