Hydrogen atom and probabilities

In summary, the probability to find the electron between 1.00a and 1.01a for a hydrogen atom in the ground state is approximately .0054/a. While it is necessary to evaluate the probability integral for an exact answer, a good approximation can be obtained by multiplying the probability density at one point in the interval by the volume of a thin spherical shell.
eku_girl83
Here's my question...
For a hydrogen atom in the ground state, what is the probability to find the electron between 1.00a and 1.01a, where a is the Bohr radius? It is not necessary to evaluate any integrals to solve this problem.

I know that P(r)=r^2*(R(r))^2. I used the R(r) expression for n=1, l=0 and then substituted values r=1a and r=1.01a
I subtracted P(1a)-P(1.01a) to get .0000537/a
Expressed as a percent, this is .0054/a
The answer in the back of the book is .0054
Why is my answer off by a factor of 1/a?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
P is a probability distribution, so you would take like P(1a) and multiply is by (1a)^2 and then multiply it by dr, which would be (.01)a. And then to get a percent you'd multiply by 100.

Don't know if this helps-

It seems to me that your volume element, given that l=0 implies spherical symmetry, is 4 pi r^2 delta r (an approximation that becomes exact in the limit where delta r --> 0).

Probability has no physical units/dimensions, whereas the Bohr radius a obviously does have units of length, so book's answer looks plausible in that sense.

Last edited:
The spherical harmonics which accompany the radial part are usually normalized. So r^2 R(r)^2 dr is usually normalized too. So basically I don't think you need a 4pi or whatever. Probability densities do have units. r^2dr has units of volume, and R(r)^2 should have units of 1 over volume. I mean say that the probablity density of occupying the Bohr radius is .5, which seems reasonable.

Then:

r^2 R(r)^2 dr =(1a)^2 * (.5/a^3) * (.01a)=.005

If memory serves me correctly, the radial function has a factor of 1/a in it....

eku_girl83 said:
Here's my question...
For a hydrogen atom in the ground state, what is the probability to find the electron between 1.00a and 1.01a, where a is the Bohr radius? It is not necessary to evaluate any integrals to solve this problem.
I guess you are wrong! It is necessary to evaluate the probability integral to solve this problem, i.e. integrate abs(psi_r)^2 over r from 1.00a to 1.01a [psi_r is the wavefunction in per r dimension in the r variable for sake of clarity]

eku_girl83 said:
I know that P(r)=r^2*(R(r))^2. I used the R(r) expression for n=1, l=0 and then substituted values r=1a and r=1.01a
I subtracted P(1a)-P(1.01a) to get .0000537/a
Expressed as a percent, this is .0054/a
I hope that P(r) you know is the cumulative probability function with r otherwise you are mis-functioning :wink: . If it is so then it must be dimensionless when you substitute with radial distances using the same units you originally got R(r) and integrated it on. The percent of course is right.

eku_girl83 said:
The answer in the back of the book is .0054
Why is my answer off by a factor of 1/a?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
I think you need to re-work the problem in the light of my and others directions.
After all don't you think it's too small even for ratio! .

At your service maam

sifeddin said:
I guess you are wrong! It is necessary to evaluate the probability integral to solve this problem, i.e. integrate abs(psi_r)^2 over r from 1.00a to 1.01a [psi_r is the wavefunction in per r dimension in the r variable for sake of clarity]

This is true if you want an exact answer. However, if the probabilty density doesn't change significantly over the interval from r=1.00a to r=1.01a, you can get a good approximation by evaluating the probability density at some point in that interval, say r=1.00a for simplicity, and multiplying it by the volume of a thin spherical shell, which is approximately 4*pi*r^2 * thickness. The radius of the shell is a and the thickness is 0.01a.

(This assumes that the wave function is normalized to begin with.)

Last edited:

Related to Hydrogen atom and probabilities

1. What is a hydrogen atom?

A hydrogen atom is the simplest and most abundant type of atom in the universe. It consists of a single positively charged proton in the nucleus, and a single negatively charged electron orbiting the nucleus.

2. What is the probability of finding the electron in a specific location within the atom?

The probability of finding the electron in a specific location within the atom is described by the electron's wave function, which is a mathematical representation of the electron's probability density. The square of the wave function at a given point represents the probability of finding the electron at that location.

3. How is probability related to the energy levels of a hydrogen atom?

In a hydrogen atom, the energy levels of the electron are quantized, meaning they can only exist at certain discrete energy levels. The probability of finding the electron in a specific energy level is proportional to the square of the wave function at that energy level. This means that the higher the energy level, the lower the probability of finding the electron there.

4. What is the role of uncertainty in the hydrogen atom's probabilities?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the exact location of the electron in a hydrogen atom cannot be known with 100% certainty. Instead, we can only calculate the probability of finding the electron in a certain location.

5. How do scientists use the concept of probabilities in studying hydrogen atoms?

Scientists use the concept of probabilities in studying hydrogen atoms by using mathematical models and equations to calculate the likelihood of finding the electron in a certain location or energy level. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of hydrogen atoms, as well as other atoms and molecules. It also helps in predicting and explaining the outcomes of experiments and observations related to hydrogen atoms.