1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom - small perturbation

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hydrogen atom is perturbed with the potential [tex]V(r) = \frac{\alpha}{r^{2}}[/tex] ([tex]\alpha[/tex] is small). Find first-order perturbation corrections to the energy levels and then exact levels of the perturbed system.

2. Relevant equations

The unperturbed hydrogen atom radial equation is:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{d^{2}u}{dr^{2}} + [-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{l(l+1)}{r^{2}}]u = Eu[/tex]

where [tex]l[/tex] is an integer.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to find the exact energy levels of the perturbed system. Because the perturbation is proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex], in the radial equation for the perturbed atom I can introduce a new parameter [tex]k[/tex] such that:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{k(k+1)}{r^{2}} = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{l(l+1)}{r^{2}} + \frac{\alpha}{r^{2}}[/tex].

Then new energy levels will be just energy levels of an unperturbed hydrogen atoms with [tex]k[/tex] in place of [tex]l[/tex]. But then, [tex]k[/tex] has to be an integer for the hydrogen solutions to make sense, and it is at the same time a function of the parameter [tex]\alpha[/tex], so it need not be an integer. What's wrong here? How to find the exact energy levels?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    It looks like your attempt at a solution is trying to find the exact levels. Take a look at Chapter 6 in Griffiths' QM book for finding the first-order perturbation corrections. You could probably also look up time-independent perturbation theory on the web and find a wikipedia page or something.

I'm not completely sure about finding the exact levels, but I think you have a good idea there. This perturbation won't affect the spherical harmonics at all since it is r-dependent. It seems like it might work to just replace [tex]n=j_{max}+l+1[/tex] with [tex]n=j_{max}+k+1[/tex] and plug the n into the energy formula, but I'm not so sure there because of the issue of k not having to be an integer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?