Hydrogen, Couloumbs and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of energy levels in the hydrogen atom and the assumption of a point charge nucleus. It is noted that the actual size of the nucleus is very small compared to the electron's distance from it, allowing for a perturbative approach to account for the finite size of the nucleus. The potential V(r) is then discussed for a uniformly charged spherical shell nucleus and its effect on the ground-state energy of the hydrogen atom. The calculation for the energy shift is shown and simplified, resulting in an approximate value for the ground-state energy shift. The conversation also mentions the use of the Schrödinger equation to calculate the energy shift.
TFM

Homework Statement

In the derivation of the energy levels in the hydrogen atom one commonly assumes that the nucleus is a point charge. However, in reality the size of the nucleus is of the order of [tex] 1fm=10^−15m[/tex]. Since this is very much smaller than the typical distance of the electron from the nucleus, which is of the order of [tex] a_0 \approx 0.5 Angstoms = 0.5 *10^{-10}m [/tex], the finite size of the nucleus can be taken into account perturbatively.

a)

Assume that the nucleus of the hydrogen atom is a uniformly charged spherical shell of radius [tex] \delta [/tex]. According to Gauss’ law [tex] \int E \cdot dA = Q_{enclosed}/\epsilon_0[/tex], the electric field outside this shell is the same as for a point charge at the centre. However, from Gauss’ law also follows that the electric field
inside the shell is zero. Since the force [tex]-eE_r[/tex] on the electron is given by the gradient [tex] -\partial V/\partial r [/tex] of the potential, the potential must thus be constant inside the shell and indistinguishable from the Coulomb potential outside it.

Sketch the potential V (r), find the expression for it, and then find the perturbation [tex] \Delta [/tex]V relative to the Coulomb potential generated by a point-like nucleus.

b)

Use the ground-state wave function for a hydrogen atom with a point-like nucleus,

[tex] \Phi_{100}(r,\theta, \phi) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a_0^3}}e^{-r/a_0} [/tex]

and calculate the shift of the ground-state energy due to the distribution of the nuclear charge overa finite spherical shell to first order in the perturbation.

c)
Expand the result of (b) in powers of [tex] \delta/a_0 [/tex], retain only the first non-vanishing term, and thus show that the ground-state energy shift is approximately

[tex] \Delta E_1 \approx \frac{e^2}{6\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\delta^2}{a_0^3} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Given on sheet:

[tex] e^x = \Sigma \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay B, I think is a normal inverse square law graph, similar to that of gravity. It goes up with constant gradient until it reaches the radius R, then decreases inverse square law curve.

I am not sure however what to do for b). Do I need to insert the potential into a Schrödinger Equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have worked out that for b), I need to use the equation:

[tex] \Delta E = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*_n \Delta V(r) \phi_n [/tex]

Now they give you phi, but I am slightly unsure as to how I get the [tex] Delta V(r)[/tex]. I thunk this bit is also part of a).

Any helpful suggestions of how to get this value?

Also, I think I have the graph wrong. I t should be more of a plateau, with the sides curving downwards, as attached.

Attachments

• Graph Electro.jpg
    Graph Electro.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 492

What is hydrogen?

Hydrogen is the first element on the periodic table, with an atomic number of 1. It is the most abundant element in the universe and has one proton and one electron in its nucleus.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It deals with the principles of wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and quantization of energy.

How is hydrogen used in the field of science?

Hydrogen is used in various fields of science, such as fuel cells, rocket propulsion, and synthesis of various compounds. It is also used as a coolant in nuclear reactors and as a reducing agent in metal production.

What are the applications of Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law has various applications in science, such as in the design of electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and in the study of celestial bodies. It is also used in the development of technologies such as electrostatic precipitators and particle accelerators.