Calculating Specific Volume of Hydrogen at Given Pressure and Temperature?

In summary, to calculate the specific volume of a sample of hydrogen at a pressure of 1000mb and a temperature of +10° C, you can use the ideal gas law by finding the number of moles of hydrogen (0.5) and plugging it into the equation V=nRT/P. This results in a specific volume of 11.77163 g/L.
jg24

Homework Statement

A sample of hydrogen is at a pressure of 1000mb and a temperature of +10° C.
Calculate its specific volume.

Homework Equations

I'm guessing PV=mRT

The Attempt at a Solution

P=1 bar
m=2 g
R=constant (do I use the universal constant or is there a constant for Hydrogen? If so how do I find it)
T=283.15K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas law is PV=nRT where n is number of gas moles. You can use the ideal gas law, but you first have to find how many moles of hydrogen are in 2kg of hydrogen. To do this, you can use this conversion factor for hydrogen:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1.008 g}{mole}Hydrogen[/itex]

Ok so I don't know why I typed 2kg of hydrogen. Its a sample of hydrogen which is 1 gram but since Hydrogen is H2 in the atmosphere it should be 2 grams which is 2 moles correct?

If the problem states that it's a 1 gram sample of Hydrogen, then the mass is 1 gram. Hydrogen gas is indeed H2, which means each molecule contains two Hydrogen atoms. To account for this, you make a new conversion factor for H2, multiplying the mass of hydrogen by 2.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2.016 g}{mole}H_2[/itex]

Ok redid some work

Density = (P * MW) / (R * T)
0.9869231693139999 atm
Molecular weight of 2 g/mol
R = 0.08206 L*ATM / mol*K
T = 283.15K

1.97384/23.235289 = 0.08495 g/L

specific volume = 1/density
specific volume of hydrogen = 11.77163 g/L

Maybe yes?

It looks alright, but when you take 1/density at the end, the units change to L/g. However, there was no need to use the density equation. Allow me to show you a simpler way:

[itex]\displaystyle 1g\: H_2 ×\frac{1\: mole}{2.016 g}=0.5\:mole\: H_2[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle PV=nRT[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle V=\frac{nRT}{P}[/itex]

n is the number of moles of H2 (0.5), R is the gas constant, and T and P are given. This gives the volume of one gram of hydrogen gas, which is equal to the specific volume.

Awesome, thanks for explaining an easier way too!

1. What is the specific volume of hydrogen?

The specific volume of hydrogen is 0.08988 m3/kg at standard temperature and pressure (STP), or 273.15 K and 101.325 kPa.

2. How does the specific volume of hydrogen compare to other gases?

Hydrogen has a lower specific volume than most other gases at STP, making it more compact and lightweight.

3. Does the specific volume of hydrogen change with temperature and pressure?

Yes, the specific volume of hydrogen varies with temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the specific volume of hydrogen decreases, while an increase in pressure results in a decrease in specific volume.

4. How is the specific volume of hydrogen used in industry?

The specific volume of hydrogen is an important factor in the design and operation of fuel cells, which use hydrogen as a fuel source. It is also used in the production and storage of hydrogen gas.

5. Is the specific volume of hydrogen affected by impurities?

Yes, impurities in hydrogen gas can affect its specific volume. For example, the presence of water vapor can decrease the specific volume of hydrogen, while other impurities may increase it.