Exploring Other Hyperbolic Functions for tanhx = 12/13

In summary, to find all other hyperbolic functions at x for tanhx = 12/13, you can solve for x using tanh(x) = (e^2x -1)/(e^2x + 1) = 12/13, then plug the value of x into the other hyperbolic trig functions. Alternatively, you can use the equations cosh(x)^2 - sinh(x)^2 = 1 and tanh(x) = sinh(x)/cosh(x) to find the solution.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

find all other hyperbolic function at x for tanhx=12/13

Homework Equations

tanhx = sinhx/coshx
cothx=1/tanhx
etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing i got is cothx=13/12
all i need to know is how to find sinhx and i will be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not solve for x and then evaluate sinh(x)?

Bohrok said:
Why not solve for x and then evaluate sinh(x)?

so x= tanh-1(12/13) ?
then plug it in sinh(x)?

i am not sure if i get it..

tanh(x)=sinh(x)/cosh(x)=12/13. cosh(x)^2-sinh(x)^2=1. That's two equations in two unknowns. Can you find the solution?

[tex]\tanh(x) = \frac{e^x - e^{-x}}{e^x + e^{-x}} = \frac{e^{2x} - 1}{e^{2x} + 1}} = \frac{12}{13}[/tex]
You can solve for x then plug it into the other hyperbolic trig functions. Or try what Dick suggested, looks like it should be easier.

yeah i asked a teacher today too and he explained the same thing.
that makes sense.

even though, tanhx = sinhx/coshx = 12/13 then from here i could use sinhx =12 and coshx = 13 right away..
but that's "the cheating way" i guess..

thanks for help!

sinh(x)=12 and cosh(x)=13 isn't only the 'cheating way', it's the wrong way. 13^2-12^2 isn't equal to 1.

1. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are defined in terms of exponential functions. They are closely related to trigonometric functions, but are used to solve problems involving hyperbolas instead of circles. The most common hyperbolic functions are sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

2. How are hyperbolic functions different from trigonometric functions?

While both hyperbolic and trigonometric functions involve ratios, hyperbolic functions are used to solve problems related to hyperbolas, while trigonometric functions are used to solve problems related to circles. In terms of their graphs, hyperbolic functions are symmetrical along their axes, while trigonometric functions are symmetrical along the origin.

3. What are the properties of hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions have several properties that are similar to trigonometric functions. These include even and odd functions, addition and subtraction formulas, and double angle formulas. However, hyperbolic functions also have unique properties, such as hyperbolic identities and inverse hyperbolic functions.

4. How are hyperbolic functions used in real life?

Hyperbolic functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as heat flow, electric circuits, and population growth. Hyperbolic functions are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial modeling.

5. What is the relationship between hyperbolic functions and complex numbers?

Hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of complex numbers, and they are closely related to the exponential function. This relationship allows for the use of hyperbolic functions in solving problems involving complex numbers, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics. Additionally, hyperbolic functions can be used to express complex numbers in polar form.