Hyperbolic Functions cosh(2-3i)

In summary, the conversation involved finding the real part, imaginary part, and absolute value of cosh(2-3i). The solution involved using double angle formulas for hyperbolic functions. By using the formula cosh(a±b) = cosha*coshb ± sinha*sinhb, the book expanded cosh(2-3i) to cosh 2 cos 3 − i sinh 2 sin 3.
phrygian

Homework Statement

Find the real part, the imaginary part, and the absolute value of:

cosh(2-3i)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to write this using exponentials, but when I looked up the answer the book expanded cosh(2-3i) to cosh 2 cos 3 − i sinh 2 sin 3 , how in the world do you get there??

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll be happy with this answer, I believe.
If you remember from regular sin and cosine rules, you have the double angle formula:

sin(a+b) = sina*cosb + sinb*cosa.

Well, you have equivalent functions for hyperbolic functions:

sinh(a±b) = sinha*coshb ± sinhb*cosha

and

cosh(a±b) = cosha*coshb ± sinha*sinhb

You are going to use the second one. The ± means that if you use minus in the first ±, you use minus in the second part of the expression as well.

1. What is the definition of cosh(2-3i)?

The hyperbolic cosine function, cosh(z), is defined as (e^z + e^(-z))/2, where z is a complex number.

2. What is the value of cosh(2-3i)?

The value of cosh(2-3i) is approximately 3.7907 + 0.5844i.

3. What is the relationship between cosh(2-3i) and sinh(2-3i)?

The relationship between cosh(2-3i) and sinh(2-3i) is that they are complex conjugates of each other. This means that cosh(2-3i) = cosh(2+3i) and sinh(2-3i) = -sinh(2+3i).

4. How is the graph of cosh(2-3i) related to the graph of cosh(x)?

The graph of cosh(2-3i) represents the real and imaginary parts of the function cosh(x), which is a symmetric graph that approaches infinity as x increases. The real part of cosh(2-3i) follows the same shape as the graph of cosh(x), while the imaginary part is shifted downward.

5. What are some real-world applications of hyperbolic functions cosh(2-3i)?

Hyperbolic functions, including cosh(2-3i), have various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used in the study of electromagnetic fields, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the calculation of surface area and volume of certain 3D shapes, such as hyperboloids and catenoids.