Hyperbolic path in Minkowski space

In summary, the path described by a constantly accelerating particle is given by:x=c\sqrt{c^2/a'^2+t^2}where a prime denotes an observer traveling with the particle and a letter without a prime a resting observer. If we leave the c^2/a'^2 out it reduces to x=ct, which makes sense. The distance traveled by a photon is simply it's speed times the travel time.
luitzen
The path described by a constantly accelerating particle is given by:

[itex]x=c\sqrt{c^2/a'^2+t^2}[/itex]

where a prime denotes an observer traveling with the particle and a letter without a prime a resting observer.

If we leave the [itex]c^2/a'^2[/itex] out it reduces to x=ct, which makes sense. The distance traveled by a photon is simply it's speed times the travel time. If we think of a constantly accelerating particle, a particle which would first need to accelerate to a speed c (or at least close to it), we would expect that it would travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, since it would first need to accelerate and hence travel at a smaller average speed. However, when you look at the equation above, you can see the travel time gets a little bonus, [itex]c^2/a'^2[/itex]:

[itex]x=c\left[t+f\left(c^2/a'^2\right)\right][/itex]

According to the equation, the slower one accelerates, the larger distance one will be able to travel. To me that does not make any sense at all, so I wondered whether I made any mistakes and decided to verify the answer on the internet. However, without blinking an eye, every single source I find online gives me the same answer.

So where do I go wrong in all this?

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_motion_(relativity )
http://www.physik.uni-leipzig.de/~schiller/ed10/Uniform relativistic acceleration.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful: where is the particle at t = 0?

[itex]x\left(t=0\right)=c^2/a'[/itex]

So I should define a new axis x'' then?

[itex]x''=x-c^2/a'=c\sqrt{c^2/a'^2+t^2}-c^2/a'=c\left(\sqrt{c^2/a'^2+t^2}-c/a'\right)[/itex]

If a' goes to infinity:

[itex]x''=ct[/itex]

If a' goes to zero:

[itex]x''=c\left(\sqrt{c^2/a'^2}-c/a'\right)=0[/itex]

Let's say a'=0.5c/yr, t=5 yr:

[itex]x''=c\left(\sqrt{4+25}-2\right)=2.39ly[/itex]

t=infinity:

[itex]x''=c\left(\sqrt{c^2/a'^2+t^2}-c/a'\right)=c\left(\sqrt{t^2}-c/a'\right)=c\left(t-c/a'\right)=ct[/itex]

This makes all sense to me. Thank you.

This source http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html gives the distance traveled as:

[tex]d =\frac{c^2}{a}\left(\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{at}{c}\right)^2}-1\right)[/tex]

d in this case increases with increasing proper acceleration a.

For your example in your second post, when a=0.5c/yr, t=5 yr, d=3.385 lyr.

It's the same, but I made a calculation error. I did [itex]\sqrt{25+4}-3[/itex] instead of [itex]\sqrt{25+4}-2[/itex]

I prefer my version though, since it's in the form of c times a time.

In my formula it's also much more obvious that d increases with increasing a'.

yuiop said:
This source http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html gives the distance traveled as:

Here is how to get from the equation given in the Baez link I posted, to the equations in your links.

Starting with:

which can be rewritten as:

[tex]d =\sqrt{\frac{c^4}{a^2}+c^2t^2}-\frac{c^2}{a}[/tex]

where d=0 when time t=0.

In the Rindler coordinate system (X,T), the distance from the origin is c^2/a at time T=0 and the proper acceleration (α) of a given particle is proportional to c^2/X also at T=0. This means that the above equation can be written in terms of X as:

[tex]X = d+\frac{c^2}{\alpha} = \sqrt{\frac{c^4}{\alpha^2}+c^2T^2}[/tex]

which is essentially your equation at the start of this thread. Note that α is constrained to be the value of c^2/X at time T=0.

P.S. I see I missed your post while posting this and that you had already figured this out. I was thrown by the fact you got a different result but that was just a numerical error.

yuiop said:

If we rearrange that equation in terms of the co-ordinate time we get this:

[tex]t =\sqrt{\left(\frac{2d}{a}\right)+\left(\frac{d}{c}\right)^2}[/tex]

...so the co-ordinate time can be thought of as having two time components - the Newtonian time to travel a displacement d at a constant acceleration a, and the light travel time. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but that's how it looks to me from the equations.

Thanks, that makes total sense.

1. What is a hyperbolic path in Minkowski space?

A hyperbolic path in Minkowski space is a type of trajectory that describes the motion of an object in four-dimensional spacetime. It follows a curved path that can be represented by a hyperbola in the Minkowski diagram.

2. How is a hyperbolic path different from a straight line in Minkowski space?

A straight line in Minkowski space represents an object moving at a constant velocity, while a hyperbolic path represents an object undergoing accelerated motion. This is because the curvature of the path indicates a change in velocity over time.

3. What causes a hyperbolic path in Minkowski space?

A hyperbolic path in Minkowski space is typically caused by the presence of a gravitational or electromagnetic field. These fields can alter the trajectory of an object and cause it to follow a curved path.

4. How is a hyperbolic path related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of mass and energy. Hyperbolic paths in Minkowski space are a consequence of this theory, as they demonstrate the curvature of spacetime due to the presence of a massive object.

5. What are some real-world examples of hyperbolic paths in Minkowski space?

Some real-world examples of hyperbolic paths in Minkowski space include the orbit of planets around a star, the trajectory of a satellite around Earth, and the motion of particles in a particle accelerator. These objects follow curved paths due to the influence of gravitational or electromagnetic fields.