I don't understand this equation

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation B = μI/(4πa)(cosθ_1 - cosθ_2) for finding the magnetic field of a wire, with theta 1 and theta 2 representing interior and exterior angles. The equation is derived from the Biot-Savart law and is used to find the field from a straight wire of finite length. Different values for theta 1 and theta 2 can result in different fields, with the direction determined by the plus or minus sign. Further research on Biot-Savart can provide more information on the topic.
member 392791
So my professor has been using an equation to find the magnetic field of a wire, but the equation is not present in the textbook. it is

B = μI/(4πa)(cosθ_1 - cosθ_2)

The theta is is an interior angle and theta 2 is an exterior angle. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to give more details, what is the orientation of the wire? This might be a circular wire, but we are not sure. Where are those angles measured from?

I believe this equation gives the magnitude of the magnetic field from a straight wire of finite length where [itex] \theta_1 [/itex] is the interior angle from one end point, [itex] \theta_2 [/itex] is the exterior angle from the other end point, and [itex] a [/itex] is the perpendicular distance from the wire. Also, notice that when [itex] \theta_1 \rightarrow 0[/itex] and [itex] \theta_2 \rightarrow \pi [/itex], you obtain the field due to an infinite straight wire.

What kontejnjer is describing is the right equation. But, where does this thing come from?

I did a rough calculation and the results seem to be right. The idea is to integrate the contribution of one infinitesimal of wire to the magnetic field at the point. So we write [itex]\int{dB}=\int{\frac{Idl sinw}{r^2}}[/itex](I omit the constants) as from the Biot-Savart law(thanks to Philip Wood). Trying to express dl as a function of dw and integrating the whole thing should give the desired result.

Last edited:
The equation raopeng quotes is the Biot-Savart rule (or law). This can be deduced from two of Maxwell's equations when [itex]\frac{\partial \textbf{E}}{\partial t} = 0 [/itex]. The integration on the right hand side is around the whole circuit.

Search for Biot-Savart on the internet. Several sites give introductions.

That is Eq. (7.13) of "Classical Eletromagnetism" by Franklin, which also gives its derivation.
The key is that the usual derivation for an infinite length wire involves an integral from -infinity to +infinity.
Using finite limits gi.oves your equation.

What's the interior and exterior angle of a straight wire?
Also if you take the equation B = μI/(4πa)(cosθ_1 - cosθ_2) and set cosθ_1=0 and cosθ_2=π you get B = -μI/(4a) which is not the field of an infinite wire. Could someone clear this up please?

I believe it is θ_1=0 and θ_2=π, in that case cosθ_2=-1 and cosθ_1=1, so the result will be μI/(2πa). The plus minus sign corresponds to the direction of the magnetic field(in or out of the plain of the wire).

What does this equation mean?

The meaning of an equation depends on the variables and symbols used, as well as the context in which it is being used. It is important to carefully read the equation and understand the relationships between the different parts before attempting to solve it.

How do I solve this equation?

Solving an equation involves finding the value of the variable(s) that make the equation true. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. It is important to follow the correct steps and use appropriate mathematical operations to solve the equation.

Why is this equation important?

The importance of an equation depends on the field of study in which it is used. Equations are often used to describe relationships between different quantities and can be used to make predictions or solve real-world problems. Understanding equations can also improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

What if I don't understand a specific part of the equation?

If you encounter a part of the equation that you don't understand, it is important to identify the specific part and try to clarify its meaning. This could involve looking up the definition of a symbol or asking for clarification from a teacher or peer. It is important to have a strong understanding of all the components of an equation in order to solve it accurately.

How can I improve my understanding of equations?

Improving understanding of equations involves practice and persistence. It is important to review and practice using different equations in order to become more familiar with their structure and meaning. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding complex equations.