I dont understand this integration

• Thread starter EastWindBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Wow, thank you, I forgot b/2 is a definite interval on the graph.Right. And if they will do more integrals of this result, they need the formula for the general integral, not just the value of the definite integral. So this is not a definite integral.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

in the textbook, it says:
QQ图片20171130021954.jpg

how does the integral of y'' gives you y' like that?

Homework Equations

upload_2017-11-30_2-21-57.png

given C_a is a dimensionless peak acceleration factor.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-11-30_2-32-2.png

[/B]

Attachments

• QQ图片20171130021954.jpg
    QQ图片20171130021954.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 727
  • upload_2017-11-30_2-21-57.png
    upload_2017-11-30_2-21-57.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 812
  • upload_2017-11-30_2-32-2.png
    upload_2017-11-30_2-32-2.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 775
Physics news on Phys.org
EastWindBreaks said:

Homework Statement

in the textbook, it says:View attachment 215838
how does the integral of y'' gives you y' like that?

Homework Equations

View attachment 215839
given C_a is a dimensionless peak acceleration factor.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 215840[/B]

You seem to be confusing definite and indefinite integrals. The indefinite integral is an antiderivative of the function, but a definite integral is a number.

Likes EastWindBreaks
PeroK said:
You seem to be confusing definite and indefinite integrals. The indefinite integral is an antiderivative of the function, but a definite integral is a number.
but if I do it as indefinite integral, the result would be more confusing to me: y'= -C*(b/π)*cos(πx/b), which is totally different from what the book has.

EastWindBreaks said:
but if I do it as indefinite integral, the result would be more confusing to me: y'= -C*(b/π)*cos(πx/b), which is totally different from what the book has.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you differentiate ##y'## you get ##y'' = C\sin(\pi x/b)##.

And if you take the indefinite integral of that you get ##y'##, up to an the arbitrary constant of integration.

PeroK said:
I'm not sure what the problem is. If you differentiate ##y'## you get ##y'' = C\sin(\pi x/b)##.

And if you take the indefinite integral of that you get ##y'##, up to an the arbitrary constant of integration.
the question is to integrate the given y'' (the acceleration function) to get the velocity function y'. (assuming that's how the book get y')
its not an actual problem or anything, I am just reading the textbook and I don't understand how they got the velocity function.

Your integral is the definite integral up to x=b/2 and it looks like their integral is the integral up to a variable x (0≤x≤b/2)

Likes EastWindBreaks
EastWindBreaks said:
the question is to integrate the given y'' (the acceleration function) to get the velocity function y'. (assuming that's how the book get y')
its not an actual problem or anything, I am just reading the textbook and I don't understand how they got the velocity function.

So, what do you get if you integrate ##y''##? Remember you need a boundary condition of some sort to quantify the constant of integration.

FactChecker said:
Your integral is the definite integral up to x=b/2 and it looks like their integral is the integral up to a variable x (0≤x≤b/2)
oh I see! thank you! but why up to x instead of b/2?

PeroK said:
So, what do you get if you integrate ##y''##? Remember you need a boundary condition of some sort to quantify the constant of integration.
I got this:
upload_2017-11-30_3-18-37.png

but it seems like I should be integrating up to x instead of b/2, I don't know why though, I must have forgot something important in integrals...

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_3-18-37.png
    upload_2017-11-30_3-18-37.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 805
EastWindBreaks said:
oh I see! thank you! but why up to x instead of b/2?

If you integrate a function on a definite interval, you simply get a number. Take a simple example like:

##\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos(x) dx = 1##

But:

##\int_0^{x} \cos(u) du = \sin(x)##

Note the need for a new dummy variable for the integrand.

Altertnatively:

##\int \cos(x) dx = \sin(x) + C##

Where ##C## is specified by some boundary condition.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and EastWindBreaks
EastWindBreaks said:
I got this: View attachment 215841
but it seems like I should be integrating up to x instead of b/2, I don't know why though, I must have forgot something important in integrals...

Yeah, you forgot that a definite integral is a number.

Likes EastWindBreaks
PeroK said:
If you integrate a function on a definite interval, you simply get a number. Take a simple example like:

##y''(x) = \cos(x)##

##\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos(x) dx = 1##

But:

##\int_0^{x} \cos(u) du = \sin(x)##

Note the need for a new dummy variable for the integrand.

Altertnatively:

##\int \cos(x) dx = \sin(x) + C##

Where ##C## is specified by some boundary condition.
wow, thank you, I forgot b/2 is a definite interval on the graph.

Right. And if they will do more integrals of this result, they need the formula for the general integral, not just the value of the definite integral. So this is not a definite integral.

Likes EastWindBreaks

Related to I dont understand this integration

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to rates of change, such as finding displacement, velocity, or acceleration.

Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve rates of change. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. While integration is used to find the area under a curve, differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

What are the different methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including the substitution method, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. Each method is used to solve different types of integrals.

How can I improve my understanding of integration?

The best way to improve your understanding of integration is to practice solving different types of integrals. You can also seek help from a math tutor or use online resources such as videos, tutorials, and practice problems.