Rant: I Hate My Parents - Academic Success & Childhood Neglect

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, Reid W. Barton, Gabriel Carroll, and Daniel Kane are examples of individuals whose parents nurtured their thinking abilities from a young age and therefore have had successful academic careers. In contrast, the speaker had parents who made detrimental choices for them during their childhood, resulting in a lack of focus on learning and self-improvement. Despite this, the speaker acknowledges the importance of taking responsibility for their own actions and making the most of their present circumstances. They also recognize the challenges of parenthood and the vulnerability and imperfection of parents.
All I can say to the original poster. Imagine if you parents let you venture the streets? Who knows where you would be today.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ho HO HOE. Look what santa Cyrus brought for you!

http://www.cluttercontrolfreak.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/kleenex.jpg

http://www.blackgayblogger.com/images/violin.jpg

lump_of_coal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus, you kill me. :rofl:

You do need to stop whinnin by now (nice cyrus), but I must say that parents have an extremely powerful position on a child's life. Even if one is intrinsically motivated (which I think we all are to a certain degree) a bad parental environment can utterly destroy a great thirst for knowledge. Now obviously you will be just fine since you are here typing away on physic's forum just because you want to. It always helps to have support and external love and motivation; but you were born into the life you have so you just got to deal with it and try and learn from your past experiences.

Just remember what you wish you had and be super-dad/mom for your kids!

robertm said:
You do need to stop whinnin by now (nice cyrus), but I must say that parents have an extremely powerful position on a child's life. Even if one is intrinsically motivated (which I think we all are to a certain degree) a bad parental environment can utterly destroy a great thirst for knowledge. Now obviously you will be just fine since you are here typing away on physic's forum just because you want to. It always helps to have support and external love and motivation; but you were born into the life you have so you just got to deal with it and try and learn from your past experiences.

Just remember what you wish you had and be super-dad/mom for your kids!

I want to beat my kids for fun. I want to give them that opportunity I never had. :frown:

Hahaha! I love america!

turbo-1 said:
Yep. The other kids thought I was a geek, too. When I was about 12 or so, my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedias. I started at A and read darn near every article through to the end. Some were tedious, but I devoured the ones about history and the sciences.

I was luckier. My parents had a set before I could even read. I actually learned my ABC's from the cover of those books and how to count, too. Eventually I even opened the covers and read them (the year end supplements were always great - they had cellulose layers to burrow further into the layers of human anatomy and things like that). I loved those books (my parents still have them, but they never renewed to keep getting the supplements).

Eventually, we lost the 'M' volume. My idiot sister gave it to one of her stupid friends who needed a book to prove she'd been at the library instead of killing time at a friend's house. Years later, I got married and, as my wife was unpacking her stuff in our first apartment, she pulled out the 'M' volume of our encyclopedias and said, "You know, actually, this belongs to you." When we visited my parents for the first time, I slipped it back into the set. You'd think it would have taken at least a few days for someone to notice, but my little brother noticed within about the first hour, "Hey! We have the 'M' volume! Where did that come from?!"

Poor kid. He spent half his life avoiding homework topics that started with 'M'.

Do your realize how many states start with 'M'? Poor kid couldn't even learn how to build a methamphetamine lab.

Last edited:
BobG said:
I was luckier. My parents had a set before I could even read. I actually learned my ABC's from the cover of those books and how to count, too. Eventually I even opened the covers and read them (the year end supplements were always great - they had cellulose layers to burrow further into the layers of human anatomy and things like that). I loved those books (my parents still have them, but they never renewed to keep getting the supplements).

Eventually, we lost the 'M' volume. My idiot sister gave it to one of her stupid friends who needed a book to prove she'd been at the library instead of killing time at a friend's house. Years later, I got married and, as my wife was unpacking her stuff in our first apartment, she pulled out the 'M' volume of our encyclopedias and said, "You know, actually, this belongs to you." When we visited my parents for the first time, I slipped it back into the set. You'd think it would have taken at least a few days for someone to notice, but my little brother noticed within about the first hour, "Hey! We have the 'M' volume! Where did that come from?!"

Poor kid. He spent half his life avoiding homework topics that started with 'M'.

Do your realize how many states start with 'M'? Poor kid couldn't even learn how to build a methamphetamine lab.
BobG needs to be our next "funniest member".

Evo said:
BobG needs to be our next "funniest member".
Are you trying to kill off Bob? People who get that "honor" don't seem to last.

Saladsamurai said:
I think you just need a hug.
That's a close to a "hug" smiley as I have.. lol

Attachments

• Emoticon (72).gif
    Emoticon (72).gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 517
I don't think it's fair to hate my father because he is dead and cannot hate me back. My mother is another story.

On the last day of kindergarten, my teacher gave us an application form for 'My Summer Weekly Reader". She told us to give it to our mothers (these were pre-revolution times) who would fill out the information and put it in an envelope with 25 cents and put it in the mailbox. She pointed out the window to a mailbox on the corner of the school. I did as the teacher instructed and my mother did everything as required except for one thing. She mailed the application in a different mailbox. You can imagine the look of horror on my face as the envelope disappeared down the similar, but distiguishable, slot. Mo-om, Miss Lord (her real name, very confusing to a 5-year old) said the mailbox by the school. But it was too late. As you can probably guess, the magazines never came.

So I told my mother that I hate her. She said that's nice and offered me more pie. She never stands in the way of anything I set my mind to, but this was a bit much. I said, you don't understand, I mean deep unmitigated pathological hatred. For every way that she screwed up my life and especially about the weekly reader. She pointed out that my life was not screwed up. She nearly had me there. Usually when someone suggests to her that my life isn't perfect, she gets them in a half nelson until they recant, so I got off easy. I said Oh yeah? Well what about Reid Barton and Gabriel Carroll. How about Daniel Kane. She said that when I die, I will be asked a question. Not "Why weren't you like Reid Barton?" The question will be "Why weren't you like Jimmy Snyder?"

Then she asked me to show her how to open e-mail again so her guests can see what a great software engineer I am.

jimmysnyder said:
I don't think it's fair to hate my father because he is dead and cannot hate me back. My mother is another story.

On the last day of kindergarten, my teacher gave us an application form for 'My Summer Weekly Reader". She told us to give it to our mothers (these were pre-revolution times) who would fill out the information and put it in an envelope with 25 cents and put it in the mailbox. She pointed out the window to a mailbox on the corner of the school. I did as the teacher instructed and my mother did everything as required except for one thing. She mailed the application in a different mailbox. You can imagine the look of horror on my face as the envelope disappeared down the similar, but distiguishable, slot. Mo-om, Miss Lord (her real name, very confusing to a 5-year old) said the mailbox by the school. But it was too late. As you can probably guess, the magazines never came.

So I told my mother that I hate her. She said that's nice and offered me more pie. She never stands in the way of anything I set my mind to, but this was a bit much. I said, you don't understand, I mean deep unmitigated pathological hatred. For every way that she screwed up my life and especially about the weekly reader. She pointed out that my life was not screwed up. She nearly had me there. Usually when someone suggests to her that my life isn't perfect, she gets them in a half nelson until they recant, so I got off easy. I said Oh yeah? Well what about Reid Barton and Gabriel Carroll. How about Daniel Kane. She said that when I die, I will be asked a question. Not "Why weren't you like Reid Barton?" The question will be "Why weren't you like Jimmy Snyder?"

Then she asked me to show her how to open e-mail again so her guests can see what a great software engineer I am.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

p.s. I always suspected the Summer Weekly Reader was a scam. Never got mine either.

Math Is Hard said:
:smile: :smile: :smile:

p.s. I always suspected the Summer Weekly Reader was a scam. Never got mine either.

I always got mine. Surely you folks knew you should never put cash in the mail. Someone probably stole the quarter.

BobG said:
I always got mine. Surely you folks knew you should never put cash in the mail. Someone probably stole the quarter.
I can see the application form in my mind as if it were this morning. There was a circle the size of a quarter where the coin should go and two dotted lines to fold over and cover the coin with the paper. My mother secured it with a piece of scotch tape, so the stolen quarter theory is unlikely. Indeed, at the time, there was only one explanation needed. My mother put the envelope in the wrong mailbox and that was that. As an adult, I have the maturity to consider many other possibilities, but I haven't come up with a better one in all these years.

jimmysnyder said:
I can see the application form in my mind as if it were this morning. There was a circle the size of a quarter where the coin should go and two dotted lines to fold over and cover the coin with the paper. My mother secured it with a piece of scotch tape, so the stolen quarter theory is unlikely. Indeed, at the time, there was only one explanation needed. My mother put the envelope in the wrong mailbox and that was that. As an adult, I have the maturity to consider many other possibilities, but I haven't come up with a better one in all these years.

I would have been crushed. I've always been an obsessive reader. Annoyingly so.

I don't know how many times I've heard, "Umm, I'm talking to you? Could you quit reading the trash blowing by for about 30 seconds and look at me while I'm talking?"

"Yeah, sure. Did you ever realize they use whole eggs in Twinkies? When you think about it, I guess that would be an awful lot of eggs to crack. You think they use a BlendTec blender to make sure the shells are ground up fine enough?"

BobG said:

Great story! Good thing you didn't loose 'N' as well.

I can imagine not having ready access to information about magnesium, manganese and molybdenum, or mitosis and meiosis, caused your brother significant hardship. How ever did he get through high school? Is that why he didn't become a metallurgist?

Astronuc said:
Great story! Good thing you didn't loose 'N' as well.

I can imagine not having ready access to information about magnesium, manganese and molybdenum, or mitosis and meiosis, caused your brother significant hardship. How ever did he get through high school? Is that why he didn't become a metallurgist?

Thank god the internet and especially Wikipedia blossomed when I was in high school and allowed me to avoid such traumatic events as having no knowledge of things that begin with a certain letter. I only wish that the internet and PF and Wikipedia were developed earlier like when I was in elementary school. One of the things my parents definitely did right was put a computer with high speed internet access in my room. Unfortunately, there are just as many unproductive and as productive things you can with high-speed internet internet access and I am really scared to think of what kinds of sites I was visiting as a teenager. I like to think that I grew up "on the internet" since I think many of the values and interests and dreams I have developed have come from all the information that I have absorbed while reading Wikipedia and such. Without the internet, I would have been a horrible horrible mess.

But to reinforce the ideas I expressed in my opening post: it was NOT fun growing up on the internet and it is NOT something we want to promote our kids to do. Instead of having memories of learning something important to me for the first time during a tete-a-tete with my parents or with a friend, almost all the things that are important to me were learned while staring at a computer screen alone in my room probably at some odd hour in the morning and after 30 minutes of using search engines to try to learn this important thing.

I had to give my father a swift kick to the head when I caught him trying to throw away my entire World Book set. It was as though someone was trying to delete my favorite memories from my mind.

I think he actually accomplished throwing away my favorite one, the 1965 'Reviewing The Events Of 1964'. That's the one that sparked my love of paleontology.:frown:

ehrenfest said:
Instead of having memories of learning something important to me for the first time during a tete-a-tete with my parents or with a friend, almost all the things that are important to me were learned while staring at a computer screen alone in my room probably at some odd hour in the morning and after 30 minutes of using search engines to try to learn this important thing.
I gre up before the internet age so I missed out on a fe of the letters too. Like you, I learned so much from sources other than my parents. But my parents taught me stuff you couldn't find with a search engine if you had a hole hour.

ehrenfest said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_W._Barton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Carroll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kane

These are examples of people who had parents who were nice enough to nurture their thinking abilities from a young age so that academic success was natural and that is allowing them to have amazing careers. They have an amazing basket of skills that they carry around with them and have all these versatile mental abilities that make doing math and basically anything else supereasy for them.

Compared to their parents, my parents are a complete joke. Between the ages of 0 and 18, my parents had almost complete control over my identity and what activities I participated in and where I went to school. And the choices they made have been detrimental for me. They had tons of resources yet I spent MASSIVE amounts of my childhood just doing nothing (i.e. watching TV, playing video games, trying to be accepted socially, traveling in cars or airplanes, having the most trivial conversations imaginable, eating deadly desert food filled to the brim with saturated fat and trans fat, listening to music in my room (while doing nothing else) for prolonged periods of time, trying to be rebellious, shopping for clothes that were "better" than the ones I currently had, playing with random "for-the-masses" electronic toys like Bop-It or little robots or race cars or whatever,... the list goes on and on)!

My point is that I did everything BUT focus on learning and academics and self-improvement and skill-development and all those good things like the people listed above. And this is TOTALLY my parents fault! Was I supposed to magically develop an interest in esoteric mathematics like combinatorics when no one had ever even explained to me what that word meant!

And now that I have developed an interest in mathematics, it is SO MUCH more difficult for to learn this stuff since the neural connections that I should have developed at a young age are missing. I have trouble with basic things like arithmetic since I just didn't practice them enough when I was younger since my parents didn't motivate me to!

Of course, maybe it is not really fair to blame my parents since they could just throw the blame on their own parents (my grandparents). And iterating that logic I should really blame my greatgrandparents and I guess this is infinitely regressive...

I hate this "family" system where random people are allowed to have kids and do WHATEVER they want to them short of physical abuse or neglect. I think society should send all kids to a place where parents like mine can't inflict irreparable damage on them.

Sorry for this rant but its not fair! :(

You need to stop passing the buck for your own future. Math does not come easy to MOST people. Even people with these amazing, nurturing parents don't necessarily have it easy with math. The few that do are very RARE exceptions. Stop complaining and focus on the following:

You apparently love math according to your posts here. is it not worth the struggle if you love it?

If you love something you are going to have to work for it. No one else is going to accept the excuse of "your parents didn't prepare you enough or nurture your math abilities." You have to take what you have and work with it. It is your life ehrenfest. Whateber work goes into the life the more will come out of it. But at this point, only you can put that work into your life.

When I was little, I asked for things like a microscope, telescope, chemistry set, etc... for birthdays and Christmas. I was lucky that my mom had three entire sets of Encyclopedias (which I read) as well as medical books and she would either buy me the books I requested on archaeology, astronomy and ancient history, or take me to the library so I had a better selection than the school library. I also had National Geographic. But I ASKED for these things. :redface: My brother had no interest in any of these things, all he did was play with his friends, while I stayed inside creating cool slides for my microscope and creating weird concoctions that I used on flies, which is probably why he got a law degree, then became a stock broker and then opened a worldwide chain of international finance offices. :grumpy:

Last edited:
I WISH I had a chem set when I was little. I don't think they even make them any more...
I do however have a lifetime subscription to Nat Geo. It cost $500 in 1992.

I asked for an oscilloscope for one Christmas, my brother asked for a better computer video card to play games. Lo and behold one day Santa hauled a big package through the chimney.

Evo said:
When I was little, I asked for things like a microscope, telescope, chemistry set, etc... for birthdays and Christmas. I was lucky that my mom had three entire sets of Encyclopedias (which I read) as well as medical books and she would either buy me the books I requested on archaeology, astronomy and ancient history, or take me to the library so I had a better selection than the school library. I also had National Geographic. But I ASKED for these things. :redface: My brother had no interest in any of these things, all he did was play with his friends, while I stayed inside creating cool slides for my microscope and creating weird concoctions that I used on flies, which is probably why he got a law degree, then became a stock broker and then opened a worldwide chain of international finance offices. :grumpy:

It's very annoying to think of my hs. They have a "lab" but apparently I never had a chemistry class in there. (no experiments or anything) But now I don't need a chem set since I use the real thing and have many holes in my clothes to show for it. :biggrin: wait..it should be => :redface:
I would like to purchase a microscope but I wonder why I haven't, but maybe it was because I was preocupied with reading Encarta Encylopedia on the computer.(cd)
That's how I found out that I had a scarlet tanger visit my area.(bird pics and call as well!)

When I was young I was into science I guess. I liked plants a bit when I was 4/5, saw the periodic table of elements for the first time at age 6, and I started reading watered down science/watching science related tv shows around age 9. Now I'm starting a Biochem major and working in a Neurosci lab. I don't know what my parents could've done for me to help me with doing Biochem though, heh. It just seems that Physics/Math has all the genius students.

My parents bought us How and Why Wonderbooks, and we collected a large number on various subjects, e.g. dinosaurs & paleontolgy, rocks & minerals, rockets & missiles, . . .

I had a model railroad, and built models of aircraft and ships.

My god-father bought me microscope, and I did the kinds of things Evo described.

I had a chemistry set, which I shared with my brother, and a 100-in-1 electronics set. My brother like to make concoctions, I did pyrotechnics. :biggrin:

During the day, if I wasn't in school, I used to roam around town with friends. Two of the managed to collect all sorts of electronics and laboratory equipment from various places.

We'd go out of the city limits and shoot fireworks at each other.

By the time I turned 14, I started working.

I never liked reading that much. I always saw it as a bit of a chore, so I spent a lot of my childhood avoiding reading things.

Astronuc said:
My parents bought us How and Why Wonderbooks, ...

I remember those.

My parents bought me an electronics set when I was about 9. We happened to be living overseas at the time, and they ordered it from a German company. The instructions were in German. We didn't speak (or read) German :mad:

But I did build several balsa wood model airplanes as a young teenager. Complete with a rubber-band-powered propeller! But only one of them ever flew decently. On one of the failures, I realized that the tail flaps would help the plane gain altitude, so obviously tilting them up the maximum amount would make the plane go higher. And it did, sort of. After a level launch, that plane curved into a straight-up trajectory, which it couldn't maintain, and then came crashing down to the ground :mad::mad: . Well, I did learn what it means for a plane to "stall" from that. :smile:

Redbelly98 said:
But I did build several balsa wood model airplanes as a young teenager. Complete with a rubber-band-powered propeller! But only one of them ever flew decently. On one of the failures, I realized that the tail flaps would help the plane gain altitude, so obviously tilting them up the maximum amount would make the plane go higher. And it did, sort of. After a level launch, that plane curved into a straight-up trajectory, which it couldn't maintain, and then came crashing down to the ground :mad::mad: . Well, I did learn what it means for a plane to "stall" from that. :smile:
I used to love those balsa wood airplanes! Mine worked.

I also used to carve boats and other things from balsa wood. My mother would buy these huge long blocks of it. I used to carve soap into animal shapes. Ok, this was before the internet, before cable tv, no vcr's or DVD's.

Evo said:
I also used to carve boats and other things from balsa wood. My mother would buy these huge long blocks of it. I used to carve soap into animal shapes. Ok, this was before the internet, before cable tv, no vcr's or DVD's.
Before pocket calculators, before PC's - i.e. The Modern Dark Ages.

32 kB RAM was a big deal!

Some nostalgia - http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Apollo-Guidance-Computer

When I was studying engineering, we had to use slide rules. Even when Bowmar came out with a 4-function calculator, we still had to use slide rules. The calculators were over $300, and the school thought that it would be an unfair advantage to wealthier students to allow their use. Since they cost more than half a semester's tuition, that was a fair assessment.

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/bowmar.html

your parents try to give you a good life if they knew that you would have been happier if they had tortured you I am sure they would have done it

binzing said:
I WISH I had a chem set when I was little. I don't think they even make them any more...

They do:

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/CHEMC500ChemistrySet.cfm

http://www.discoverthis.com/chem-c3000.html

The ones I had as a kid fell somewhere between these two.

Last edited by a moderator:
This talk about encyclopedia's reminded me of something. Did anyone else have a set of these as a kid?

youngpeoplesciencea.jpg

Evo said:
I used to love those balsa wood airplanes! Mine worked.

I just didn't have much luck (or skill, to be honest) with model planes back then. Also had a brief try with the gas-powered variety, that attached to a line and circled around you. Never could get the thing to fly even 1 time around before it crashed to the pavement. After 2 tries (and the painstaking repair job in between), I gave up.

But, I did enjoy building the things.