Chrenkov radiation cone angle vs. the speed of the particle

In summary, the conversation discusses Cherenkov radiation emitted by a charged particle moving through a medium at a speed faster than the local speed of light. The cone angle of the Cherenkov radiation is correlated to the particle's velocity, with a ring-imaging Cherenkov detector used to accurately measure the velocity. The conversation then focuses on designing a detector using aerogel as the Cherenkov material and a photomultiplier tube array with a resolution of 1.2 degrees. The highest velocity at which a charged particle can be accurately measured to be below the speed of light in vacuum is asked to be found, and it is determined to be 0.971 times the speed of light. However, this is not the correct
help I have 12 hours
Homework Statement
Electromagnetic radiation (known as Cherenkov radiation) is emitted when a charged particle moves through a medium faster then the local speed of light. It should be stressed that the particle is never going faster then the speed of light in vacuum (or c), just faster than the speed of light in the material (which is always less than c).

When a charged particle passes straight through a medium faster than the local speed of light, it will emit Cherenkov radiation in a cone. Let's see how the cone angle is correlated to the speed of the particle.

Ring-imaging Cherenkov detectors are devices that can accurately measure the velocity of charged particles as they pass through them. They are very useful as subdetectors in large particle detector systems. Let us look at what decisions need to go into designing a Cherenkov detector.

Suppose our detector used aerogel (n=1.03) for the Cherenkov material and the photomultiplier tube array had a resolution of Δθ=1.2degrees. This means, for instance, that the detector can distinguish between Cherenkov light emitted at an angle of 15 degrees and that emitted at 13.8 degrees but can't tell the difference between Cherenkov light emitted at 15 degrees and that emitted at 13.9 degrees. What is the highest velocity vmax at which a charged particle can be accurately measured to be below the speed of light in vacuum (c
)?
Express your answer as a multiple of c
to three significant figures.
vmax= _________________________(c)
Relevant Equations
cos(theta)=c/vn

where theta is the angle at which the cherenkov radiation is emitted.
n is index of refraction
v is velocity of the particle
c speed of light
cos(theta)=c/vn
cos(1.2 degrees)=((3*10^8)/v(1.03))
v=291262135.9

v/c=.971

so the particle is moving at (.971)c

But mastering physics tells me this is wrong, and says that I'm not account for the angle.
I am really stumped.

Attachments

• 106346B.jpg
    106346B.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
help I have 12 hours said:
Homework Statement:: Electromagnetic radiation (known as Cherenkov radiation) is emitted when a charged particle moves through a medium faster then the local speed of light. It should be stressed that the particle is never going faster then the speed of light in vacuum (or c), just faster than the speed of light in the material (which is always less than c).

When a charged particle passes straight through a medium faster than the local speed of light, it will emit Cherenkov radiation in a cone. Let's see how the cone angle is correlated to the speed of the particle.

Ring-imaging Cherenkov detectors are devices that can accurately measure the velocity of charged particles as they pass through them. They are very useful as subdetectors in large particle detector systems. Let us look at what decisions need to go into designing a Cherenkov detector.Suppose our detector used aerogel (n=1.03) for the Cherenkov material and the photomultiplier tube array had a resolution of Δθ=1.2degrees. This means, for instance, that the detector can distinguish between Cherenkov light emitted at an angle of 15 degrees and that emitted at 13.8 degrees but can't tell the difference between Cherenkov light emitted at 15 degrees and that emitted at 13.9 degrees. What is the highest velocity vmax at which a charged particle can be accurately measured to be below the speed of light in vacuum (c
)?
Express your answer as a multiple of c
to three significant figures.
vmax= _________________________(c)
Relevant Equations:: cos(theta)=c/vn

where theta is the angle at which the cherenkov radiation is emitted.
n is index of refraction
v is velocity of the particle
c speed of light

cos(theta)=c/vn
cos(1.2 degrees)=((3*10^8)/v(1.03))
v=291262135.9

v/c=.971

so the particle is moving at (.971)c

But mastering physics tells me this is wrong, and says that I'm not account for the angle.
I am really stumped.
You have found the velocity at which the angle of the cone would be 1.2 degrees. This is not what is asked.
You do not know the angle of the cone (yet), only the uncertainty in whatever cone is measured.

Consider two particles at the same point, one at the vmax to be found and one at, effectively, c. Draw the diagram showing both cones.
What is the angle of the speed c cone?
What do you know about the difference in the two cone angles?

Likes MatinSAR and berkeman
thank you, I got it.

Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
You have found the velocity at which the angle of the cone would be 1.2 degrees. This is not what is asked.
You do not know the angle of the cone (yet), only the uncertainty in whatever cone is measured.

Consider two particles at the same point, one at the vmax to be found and one at, effectively, c. Draw the diagram showing both cones.
What is the angle of the speed c cone?
What do you know about the difference in the two cone angles?
I am yet to have got it. I would like some mathematical reasoning if possible, i.e. the solution.

DifferentialGalois said:
I am yet to have got it. I would like some mathematical reasoning if possible, i.e. the solution.
If the particle's speed were extremely close to c, what would the cone angle be?
What is the largest actual cone angle that the detector can distinguish from that?

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
If the particle's speed were extremely close to c, what would the cone angle be?
What is the largest actual cone angle that the detector can distinguish from that?
can u just give me the complete solution?

• Haha
Likes PeroK
DifferentialGalois said:
can u just give me the complete solution?
It is against the rules of this forum to provide solutions. We point out mistakes, provide hints and suggest approaches.
Please try to answer my questions.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
It is against the rules of this forum to provide solutions. We point out mistakes, provide hints and suggest approaches.
Please try to answer my questions
would DM'ing me the solution help?

DifferentialGalois said:
would DM'ing me the solution help?
Of course not.

haruspex said:
ok, cone angle is 0. largest cone angle is 90. amirite?

DifferentialGalois said:
ok, cone angle is 0. largest cone angle is 90. amirite?
No. For my first question use the "Relevant Equation" in post #1.

haruspex said:
No. For my first question use the "Relevant Equation" in post #1.
me lly no idea.

DifferentialGalois said:
me lly no idea.
The equation is ##\cos(\theta)=\frac c{vn}##.
What is the value of n in the question? So what is the maximum ##\theta##?

haruspex said:
The equation is ##\cos(\theta)=\frac c{vn}##.
What is the value of n in the question? So what is the maximum ##\theta##?
oh sorry i had no idea what i was talking about:
Here is a related problem that I wish to solve:

If a charged particle moves faster than the speed of light in a dielectric material along a straight line, then it will emit Cherenkov radiation in a conical shape. Consider a charged particle which moves along a circle at constant superluminal speed. Determine the shape of the wave front in the plane of the circle. Which known curves can describe the shape of the wave front in different regions of the plane of the circle?

Plot the wave front at different values of the ratio v/c, where v is the speed of the particle, and c is the speed of light in the material.

DifferentialGalois said:
oh sorry i had no idea what i was talking about:
Here is a related problem that I wish to solve:

If a charged particle moves faster than the speed of light in a dielectric material along a straight line, then it will emit Cherenkov radiation in a conical shape. Consider a charged particle which moves along a circle at constant superluminal speed. Determine the shape of the wave front in the plane of the circle. Which known curves can describe the shape of the wave front in different regions of the plane of the circle?

Plot the wave front at different values of the ratio v/c, where v is the speed of the particle, and c is the speed of light in the material.
ok, so, per forum rules, please post your attempt.

haruspex said:
ok, so, per forum rules, please post your attempt.
i drew a rough diagram and thats it

DifferentialGalois said:
i drew a rough diagram and thats it
So post it.

The current poster has left the building for various reasons. Thanks for trying to help them despite their refusal to show work.

1. What is Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron or a proton, travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium.

2. How is the Cherenkov radiation cone angle related to the speed of the particle?

The Cherenkov radiation cone angle is directly related to the speed of the particle. As the speed of the particle increases, the cone angle also increases.

3. What factors affect the Cherenkov radiation cone angle?

The Cherenkov radiation cone angle is affected by the speed of the particle, the refractive index of the medium, and the mass of the particle. Higher speeds, higher refractive indices, and lower masses all result in larger cone angles.

4. How is the Cherenkov radiation cone angle measured?

The Cherenkov radiation cone angle can be measured using a device called a Cherenkov detector, which consists of a photomultiplier tube and a light-tight chamber filled with the medium. The angle can be calculated using the geometry of the detector and the position of the light emitted by the particle.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the Cherenkov radiation cone angle?

Studying the Cherenkov radiation cone angle can provide valuable information about the properties of high-energy particles, such as their speed and mass. This information is important in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. Additionally, Cherenkov radiation is used in particle detectors and in imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET).