I have trouble understanding the concept of resonance

In summary: What happens is that the electrons are delocalized over all the possible resonance structures, leading to an overall lower energy and increased stability of the molecule or ion.In summary, resonance is a way to rearrange electrons on a molecule or ion in order to achieve a more stable electronic arrangement. The true structure is a combination of all the resonance structures, with the most stable resonance forms contributing more to the true structure. Resonance is important in explaining reactivity of double-bonded compounds and can also be used to determine which atom in a molecule will react with another species. It is also important to keep in mind certain guidelines for determining the stability of resonance contributors. Overall, resonance increases stability in molecular systems and is a valuable concept in organic chemistry
nemzy
lets say a structure has 3 resonance structures, i konw that the atoms don't move, but i read somewhere that the electrons do...hmmm and that the resonance hybrid is most stable ofthe resonance forms?? I am confused, what exactly is resonance? in actuallity, isn't there no resonance , just diff orientation of atoms in space?? or is resonance just the transferring of pi bonds or nonbonding electrons to the other?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Resonance is a way to rearrange electrons on a molecule or ion. Resonance structures really represent the extremes possible electronic arrangements. The true structure is a combination of all the resonance structures, but the "best" resonance structures contribute more to the true structure.

In reality, if you have three equivalent resonance (take NO3-, for example) structures then the electrons are smeared out evenly across each N-O bond, even though each resonance structure suggests that one of the N-O bonds is different from the other two.

Your second thought is more correct. If there are multiple electronegative atoms with different strengths, then some electron challenges may occur.

In organic chemistry, we explain many instances of reactivity of double-bonded compounds in this way; for example, acetone may be written in its resonance contributor, Me2C+-O-. Here we assume that oxygen is more electronegative and pulls the pi electrons to itself, forming a reactive single bond and two charges. Then some electrophile or nucleophile can react.

The same approach can be used to determine which carbon atom in an olefin is reacted with hydride ion, i.e., anti-Markownikow rule, etc.

HCN has three resonance structures, the most stable being the one with triple bond. Reactivity increases with decreasing bond order between C and N.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• HCN_rezonans.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 277
resonance is just shifting of your electrons from one carbon to another or u can say shifting of bonds

Resonance, briefly, is the delocalization of electrons within the empty orbitals. When the delocalization occurs the energy for the system is lowered, therefore the more the resonance structures, the high probability of energy distribution, and so the stability.

The name is deceptive at first sight because you tend to believe that there is inherent oscillation of electrons in a resonating system. In fact (as has already been mentioned by movies) the true structure is a resonance hybrid, which for convenience sake is drawn alongside the canonical forms (or resonance contributors as they are sometimes called). There are a few things you must keep in mind while considering molecules (or species) which involve resonance:

1. The greater the number of covalent bonds, the greater is the stability.
2. Identical resonance contributors are usually desirable.
3. Resonance contributors with isolated charges are undesirable and it is often said that their contribution to the resonance hybrid is small in comparison to those structures which have no isolated charges.
4. A negative charge is more desirable on an electronegative atom.

(There are of course some other important ideas but these are the basic ones. You must pardon me for excessive usage of the word "desirable". I really mean greater stability, lower energy.)

It can be shown through advanced quantum mechanical methods that resonance in molecular systems (such as that in organic species like acetone, the acylium ion, the allylic cation, the benzylic free radical and so on) lends stability to the systems and this stability is usually higher than in those species where resonance cannot occur. (An exception, I am told is the tricyclopropyl methyl cation which due to the baeyer strain of three cyclopropyl groups is inherently unstable in terms of free existence since the rings tend to open up and reduce the positive charge on the central carbon atom...stabilizing the carbocation. But again, these are advanced cases which you--as a starting organic chemistry student--need not worry about unless your book/teacher brings them up at an appropriate stage).

If you have trouble coming to terms with resonance, I would suggest that you give yourself more practice than you have now. Try drawing resonance contributors for aromatic and non-aromatic species such as benzene, phenol, aniline, tribenzylic free radical/cation/anion, carboxylate anion, sulfate anion, formate anion, etc. Standard textbooks like Morrison and Boyd have sufficient material to help you out. (You might be lucky to find some resonance diagrams on PF--check the older posts).

Cheers
Vivek

jatin9_99 said:
resonance is just shifting of your electrons from one carbon to another or u can say shifting of bonds

Actually, there is no shifting of electrons. The charge density is time independent.

What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. This results in a large amplitude of vibration and can cause the object to produce a loud sound.

What are some examples of resonance?

Examples of resonance include a tuning fork vibrating when struck, a swing reaching its maximum height with minimal effort, and a crystal glass shattering when exposed to a high-pitched sound.

How does resonance work?

Resonance works by the principle of forced vibration. When an external force is applied to an object at its natural frequency, the object starts to vibrate with a large amplitude. This is because the energy from the external force is transferred to the object, causing it to vibrate.

What factors affect resonance?

The factors that affect resonance include the frequency of the external force, the natural frequency of the object, and the damping or resistance of the object to vibrations. The material and shape of the object also play a role in resonance.

Why is understanding resonance important?

Understanding resonance is important in various fields such as music, engineering, and physics. It helps in designing structures, tuning musical instruments, and studying the behavior of waves. It also has practical applications in creating devices such as microphones and speakers.