Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a software

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    hi all bros

i am student in pteroleum engineering faculty and i want to know wether there is a software that can give equation for given curve.For example if i import a .jpg file of curve and mark the points in the curve picture and it returns me equation of curve.Is there any such software packages? (sorry for bad english)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    There are programmes that will do what you say, but they will cost you and im afraid I don't know what they are.

Free option is use excel (assuming you have office). Use a printing on graph paper to come up with coordinates manually and then use a best fit line. It's more manual work but it's a cheap option.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    there are free 'digitizing' programs that allow you to import a jpeg, and then 'calibrate' it by clicking on three points (you click on a point and input the known coordinates of the point). Once you calibrate to three points, the software will provide coordinates of other points as you click on them. This saves the labor of reading graph paper... Then you can cut & paste the digitized points into excel or whatever and do your curve-fitting.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

As gmax mentioned, there is digitizing software available. I have used a piece of freeware called Engauge (you can find it on Download.com). It's pretty easy, you import the image of the graph, and then set your axis by three points. From there you can either insert points by hand or let it try to auto fill in the curves.

Either way, you get a csv file that you can bring into Excel and create a trendline.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook