What Are the Steps to Solve These Chemistry Problems?

• Thread starter Raul3140
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, you are struggling with three chemistry problems: determining the pH of a solution after reaching the equivalence point, calculating the solubility product constant for a compound, and determining the concentration of ions in a mixture after a precipitation reaction. You have attempted to solve these problems using various approaches but have not been able to get the correct answers.
Raul3140
I need Help Please! Chemistry gurus please help!?

Homework Statement

I need Help Please! Chemistry gurus please help!?
1) 5.61 mL of 0.49M Pyridine, C5H5N, are titrated with 0.20 M HCl. What is the pH of the solution 2.86 mL after the equivalent point?
Kb (C5H5N)=1.8x10-9
Report the pH to 2 decimal places

2) The solubility of M2X3 (as M3+ and X2-) in water at 298K is 6.03 x 10(-3) M. Calculate Ksp for M2X3.

3) A 0.166 M NaBr and 0.048 M NaCl mixture is going to be treated with AgNO3. Calculate the % of bromide ion present when the choride starts to precipitate. Ksp (AgCl) = 1.8x10-10; (AgBr) = 5.0x10-13
Report your answer to two significant figures.

I tried and cannot get the correct answers...please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1) I got Ka from Kb by using 1.0E-14 and then I found out how much HCL was needed to reach the equivalence point and got
.2635 L by mult. and using Pyridine. but IDK how to get the HCL needed after addidtion of 2.86 ml. I used the same format as getting H3O and dividing it by total volume with 2.86 ml added and got 4.87 PH which is wrong!

For2) K_sp = [M3+]^2*[X2-]^3

ow Molarity of M3+ = 6.03 x 10(-3) M2X3*(2 mol M3+/1 mol M2X3) = 6.14E-13 mol = Molarity

IDK where to go after this

I tried solubility laws but I keep getting the wrong answer!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Show how you got the wrong answer.

I updated my attempt there.

Last edited:

First - the only role pyridine plays is it consumes HCl before endpoint. Final pH is a function of excess HCl only.

Second - what are concentrations of M3+ and X2- if each liter of solution contains 6.03x10-3 moles of M2X3?

Please help!Hello,

First of all, I am not a guru, but I am happy to help with your chemistry questions.

1) To find the pH at 2.86 mL after the equivalence point, we first need to calculate the moles of HCl added at the equivalence point. We know that at the equivalence point, the moles of HCl added is equal to the moles of pyridine present in the original solution. So, we can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2 to calculate the moles of HCl added at the equivalence point.
M1 = 0.20 M (concentration of HCl)
V1 = 5.61 mL (volume of pyridine solution)
M2 = M1 (since we are using the same concentration of HCl)
V2 = 2.86 mL (volume of HCl added at the equivalence point)
Solving for M1, we get M1 = 0.20 * 5.61 / 2.86 = 0.39 M.
Therefore, the moles of HCl added at the equivalence point is 0.39 mol.
Now, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH at 2.86 mL after the equivalence point.
pH = pKa + log ([base]/[acid])
pKa = -log(Kb) = -log(1.8 * 10^-9) = 8.74
[base] = moles of pyridine remaining in the solution = 0.49 mol - 0.39 mol = 0.10 mol
[acid] = moles of HCl added at 2.86 mL after equivalence point = 0.39 mol
Substituting in the values, we get pH = 8.74 + log (0.10/0.39) = 8.74 - 0.41 = 8.33.
Therefore, the pH at 2.86 mL after the equivalence point is 8.33.

2) To calculate Ksp, we need to use the solubility product expression, which is Ksp = [M3+]^2 * [X2-]^3.
We know that the solubility of M2X3 is 6.03 * 10^-3 M. This means that the concentration of both M3

What is Chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is often referred to as the central science because it connects and overlaps with other branches of science such as biology, physics, and geology.

What are the main branches of Chemistry?

The main branches of Chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Each branch focuses on a different aspect of matter and its interactions.

Why is Chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It explains the properties of substances, how they interact with each other, and how they can be manipulated to create new materials and products. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science.

What skills are required to be a Chemistry guru?

To be a Chemistry guru, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Attention to detail, curiosity, and problem-solving abilities are also essential. A passion for learning and a willingness to constantly update one's knowledge are also important traits for a Chemistry guru.

What career opportunities are available for Chemistry gurus?

Chemistry gurus have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, education, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and environmental science. Some common job titles for Chemistry gurus include chemist, research scientist, chemical engineer, and quality control analyst.